Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EMM failure?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mockingee View Post
    ... the little spring and button for the starter bendix is missing. Some previous owner must've lost it. Funny it was working fine.
    Sometimes these little parts go into hiding places in the hull, mostly under the engine and towards the rear of the hull. Sometimes under the fuel tank, which is no fun.

+1
    I got my replacement flywheel and stator today. Thanks Dalepatter. As I was putting those parts on I noticed I now have a bad rub or scrape coming from the pump. All I had time to do was look at the pump. There seems to be a hump inside the housing or wear ring if it's called that, as if it swelled toward the inside. Anyone know what would cause that while it was sitting? I guess the pump will be coming off tomorrow night. It's so weird that I'm having all these problems with a ski that was running perfectly when I shut it off.

+1
    Are you sure its not "Polaris Pump Rattle"?

+1
    I don't know what that means, and no I'm not sure because it doesn't make any sense to me for this to happen while not running. There is definitely a raised bump in there but it may have been there before. It wasn't rubbing before though. I will take it off tonight and see what I can do. What is this Polaris Pump Rattle?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mockingee View Post
    I don't know what that means, and no I'm not sure because it doesn't make any sense to me for this to happen while not running. There is definitely a raised bump in there but it may have been there before. It wasn't rubbing before though. I will take it off tonight and see what I can do. What is this Polaris Pump Rattle?
    It is not unusual for corrosion to occur between the inner stainless steel liner and the surrounding aluminum housing for the wear ring. The corrosion bulges the liner inwards where it rubs on the impeller. Severe cases will bind the impeller. More common with salt water use.

There are solid SS wear ring (pump extensions) available that will not fail in this manner.

Polaris jet pumps often make a rattle sound when run out of the water. The rattle comes from play in the driveline splines at both ends of the driveshaft. No harm from the rattling, but it does draw attention in the launch ramp parking lot when you start the engine.

During reassembly the splines should be greased with waterproof marine grade grease, which tends to dampen the rattle sound, at least for a while.

Also make sure the little rubber end bumpers are in place on the driveshaft.

+1
    I'm betting that's my problem. I should have been more clear. Mine is binding bad. I wouldn't even think about starting the engine or even forcing it repeatedly with a wrench. Now that I know what the Polaris Pump Rattle is I know it isn't that. Hopefully it will come apart without too much trouble. I only run in fresh water but I don't know the history of the ski. I take it the rubber bumpers are on the end that goes into the drive coupler?

+1
    Rubber bumper should be present on both ends of the driveshaft.

+1
    I just figured I'd wrap this thread up in case it helps anyone else.

Harris only charged me his standard $50.00 return shipping fee. I think that was good of him. I believe there is a checking fee elsewhere.

As I said before, I got a beautiful flywheel and stator from Dalepatter which fixed my no start problem. I would still like to find some magnets to fix my old flywheel for two reasons. I would then have a spare and, as I mentioned before, I think we as Polaris FICHT PWC owners will be running out of good replacement flywheels and need to be able to repair some of them.

I believe K447 was correct about corrosion in my pump. I took it off and cleaned it up so it works but I will probably need to replace the housing as it will probably swell more as it corrodes more.

My ski is currently on the water. We put four + hours on it Sunday. My next upgrade will be replacing the starter solenoid with a new all plastic one from BRP. Thanks everybody!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information