Seadoo Spark filled with water now electrical issue. Any advice?

Hello all,

Have a 2014 spark and to make a long story short it filled with water to just below the battery. Sat like that for a week until I noticed it yesterday. Drained it, checked the oil (no water in oil), started it and ran fine. Put about 2 hours on it yesterday no problems.

Today took it it out and about 45min into running fell off going over a wave, the key came off and stayed on my vest however it kept running. Got it stopped and kept riding. Few minutes later all the electric and engine shut off while at speed. Came to a stop and it started fine however had a check engine light on.

Pulled it onto the trailer started it for a few seconds, no warnings, revs fine and stops when the key pulled. Very confused.

Any my ideas on what this could be? Seemed like an electrical issue but don't know where to start. Any help would be great.

+1
    Have a look at main connector for water inside corrosion
    If your battery went totally under salt water good chance it stuffed as it would have completely discharge
    Once a battery goes totally flat never the same again

3. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    key came off and it kept running?..now that is something to worry about.(making mental note about spark issue)

get some electrical contact cleaner spray and hit every connector you can disassemble

I'd be riding with a friend and a good tow rope next couple of outings

I had a sunken 4-tec couple of weeks ago that was throwing all kinds of errors.

That "last guy" neglected to replace watertight gaskets on a number of the electrical connectors when the engine was changed out a couple of years back

after a complete spray out and a day cooking under a black tarp it went on an outing with no reported problems.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    key came off and it kept running?..now that is something to worry about.(making mental note about spark issue)

get some electrical contact cleaner spray and hit every connector you can disassemble

That "last guy" neglected to replace watertight gaskets on a number of the electrical connectors when the engine was changed out a couple of years back

after a complete spray out and a day cooking under a black tarp it went on an outing with no reported problems.

Split the ski today and checked all the electrical connectors. The water only got up to about the top of the battery so it seems the only connectors to go under water was the voltage regulator/rectifier sea-doo #710001103. The inside of the connectors going to the regulator were wet. Any chance a regulator failure could have caused the electrical issues? Is there a way to test a regulator/rectifier?

Also found the source of the leak. During the winter I installed reverse and it seems to be leaking from the cable entry to the hull......

+1
    The ski will run just on the battery for as long as holds charge so should be good for an hour go with a friend just in case that should be long enough to run with out problems to prove that reg maybe you're problem

Dry it out and more the plugs clean and dry

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by foxrider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post

Split the ski today and checked all the electrical connectors. The water only got up to about the top of the battery so it seems the only connectors to go under water was the voltage regulator/rectifier sea-doo #710001103. The inside of the connectors going to the regulator were wet. Any chance a regulator failure could have caused the electrical issues? Is there a way to test a regulator/rectifier?

Also found the source of the leak. During the winter I installed reverse and it seems to be leaking from the cable entry to the hull......
    Do you have access to the wiring diagrams? If not, and you think you could have use for them, PM me your email address and I'll send them to you, I have them in PDF format.

Thread Information