Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

F15x help (yup, I sunk it)

Looking for advice. Made a stupid mistake. Long story short, I veered from my normal process while splashing my ski and got distracted, forgot to put my plugs in and I flooded the thing. After attempting to start the ski (before I realized it had drank water through the intake), I realized it was futile (would struggle to turn over like the battery was dead). So I pulled the plugs, pulled the intake duct, dried it out and rode it for less than 5 minutes. Then I checked the oil and saw that it was milky. Called it a day, took it home changed the oil twice and then did a complete LOF. Sprayed everything down with 656 and sprayed a little into the intake side of turbo. Oil condition looked perfect after the last change, so I proceeded to the lake. Ski ran good, however I did notice that it wasn't as snappy out of the hole and also could only hit just under 60. I checked the oil level and it seemed a little high. 1) As this was my first oil change, I am wanting to verify the correct procedure for checking oil level and also capacity. I put 4.5 quarts total while refilling. I obviously ran the ski to circulate and warm it up. When I checked the oil level in the driveway it was spot on. But after running it hard at the lake it looked a little high. What is the recommended most accurate way of checking oil level? I am wondering if it is a little over full and creating excessive windage (if that is even possible on a dry sump system)

Secondly, I noticed after I got home is that, while rinsing the ski out on the hose, the pisser didn't seem to have water coming out of it for an exceptionally long time. Water was coming out of the bottom of ski but took much longer than normal to start coming out pisser. Could I be over thinking this? Or could this be a clue as to why I am experiencing a little less performance. Relative? Not? Please help me recover from my stupindess behavior and get this thing performing as it should.

Edit: oh yes. Also, I was only able to hit 5800 rpm. There was one time when I hit some waves that I saw 6k but it was only once and for a split second while the ski spooled up without a load on it.

Update: I pulled it out and ran the ski again today with water running through it. As much as I hate revving engines without a load, I was able to Rev to 7100 +/- rpm. Vs the 5800 it maxes out at the lake under load.

Compression is at 180 psi per hole +/- 4 psi. This is in line with what the ski was pumping out when I bought it 3 weeks ago. So it would appear that my engine isn't compromised (although I have not done a leak down).

I'm just not sure what else to check that could have possibly been affected by the engine/hull flooding.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    I'd put a boost gauge on it to see where your are there. Check out jetskis international and hit up Brian for some more tech on how to proceed.

Well. Sucked some oil out and cleaned the plugs and it seems to have some low end acceleration back. I never tested top speed on gps prior to the flooding incident but my max speed is 60.4 which is a bit on the low side. Still only getting 5850 rpm. Seems to be running solidly but not sure where I'm losing the top speed.

I ordered a gauge and will hook it up to see boost psi and report back in a few days. Stock should be 10+ IIRC??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slow-roller View Post
    Well. Sucked some oil out and cleaned the plugs and it seems to have some low end acceleration back. I never tested top speed on gps prior to the flooding incident but my max speed is 60.4 which is a bit on the low side. Still only getting 5850 rpm. Seems to be running solidly but not sure where I'm losing the top speed.

I ordered a gauge and will hook it up to see boost psi and report back in a few days. Stock should be 10+ IIRC??
    Right at 10 psi. That Rpm is too low.

+1
    With these Hondas always try new plugs, iridium plugs are touchy and don't like to be cleaned, biggest concern is a a possible bent rod through hydrolocking, hopefully not the case here.

I was talking to a buddy who had a friend hydrolock a motor years ago and just barely bent the rods. Couldn't tell until they tore the motor down. I know that's possible but seeing good compression at least and motor runs smooth. So I'm hoping that isn't the case.

I ordered some plugs and will keep these for back up. Also ordered a boost gauge that may even be here today.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slow-roller View Post
    I was talking to a buddy who had a friend hydrolock a motor years ago and just barely bent the rods. Couldn't tell until they tore the motor down. I know that's possible but seeing good compression at least and motor runs smooth. So I'm hoping that isn't the case.

I ordered some plugs and will keep these for back up. Also ordered a boost gauge that may even be here today.

could have regular gas in it.

Boost gauge showing consistent 10 psi. Top speed was 61.4. I've ran several tanks of 91 non ethanol through it since sinking it. Prop is a little dinged up and looks like it has some plier marks on it. Not really sure how much a worn / dinged prop could affect top speed.

I think the ski just needs some Macs performance loving.

I thought I messaged you on one of the boards trying to ask you about some performance mods but I can't find the message. I know you have a pcm mod for the 15x but I'm not seeing it on the website.

+1
    Mac doesn't sell a modified ECU.
    What's your WOT RPM?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information