+1

Exclamation Gtx di running black soot rich

Had a ski come in that runs for 20 mins then dies. let it sit and it fires right back up. I pulled the plugs and they are soot rich.
    Have several idea of what this might be but what is most likely?
    over charging or not charging...I tested charging on trailer and got 13volts wide open (seems suspect)
    exhaust leak......ran ski on trailer and didnt notice any leak.
    bad ground-weak spark....have not looked into this
    bad maps sensor......have not been able to get BUDS to connect to DI even after changing protocol to 947 DI since new driver has been installed for new MPI.
    bad MAPS?
    Thanks for your time!

+1
    When did you pull the plugs? After idling on the trailer or after running it on the water? They always get pretty black when there's no load on the engine. It's a di thing. Polaris does the same thing. If you were over or under charging, you would get an alarm and go into limp mode. Do you have to unplug the key and put it back in? Or van you just hit the start button and it fires up? Also, why do you have to wait to restart? What happens if you try and restart it right away?

+1
    This is a customers ski... These are his complaints....when I got the unit it fired right up and I did the charging test by revving it to around 5 grand on the trailer I only got 12.9 to 13.00volts. it idles and runs good on trailer. I pulled the plugs right after the charging test...I'll be sure to put in a fresh set of plugs tmrw and get an accurate reading on the trailer.

+1
    After finally getting BUDS to play nice I was able to see that max charging voltage in history was 18.2 volts.
    Gonna swap REG/RECT and perform full service after clearing Min/Max and take it for a nice test ride. I'll let you know what I come up with.

+1
    You can't get a good plug read on the trailer. You need a load on the engine. Also that max voltage is probably old if they're wasn't a stored code for it. My guess is the regulator went bad and was already fixed

+1
    Anytime your testing DCV on the charging system of a ski with digital ignition, switch the meter over and check for AC on the demand side of the rectifier if it's bad you'll find it right away where it doesn't belong the CDI in the mpem isn't firing the coil properly. Same applies to check for rectifier failure on older AC ignition ski's as well but won't have a bearing on the ignition.

You'd have known immediately you had an ignition problem if you owned a proper tool to test ignition pulse, get a Stevens instrument S48 H in your tool box using your eyeballs to see a spark at the end of a plug is useless diagnosing the pulse strength making it's way to the end of a wire set and connector boots.

7. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like a faulty ignition coil to me, but 18+v on the battery could mean all other kinds of trouble brewing up.

the 951 draw almost 90% of it's electrical output when running at speed, so not surprising it's having trouble with just 13v on the regulator.

put a 4-tec voltage regulator in it, they last longer. requires a little cut and spice.

Thread Information