1997 Seadoo GTX runs good on 1/2 choke only

1997 Seadoo GTX

Great compression good motor.

When I bought it, it would start and run, but in the water it would just hesitate when applying throttle. It would run okay up to about 1/8 of throttle then that's it. However if I held the choke it about half way it would rev out and run good.

I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs after this and it didn't help. So the I bought a used set of carbs online which were ran through a ultra sonic cleaner and still no good.

I had it out yesterday runs good on 1/2 choke that's it.

Any ideas ? My cab settings are correct. I have added an inline fuel filter also. The pulse line is clean. The fuel lines have been reappeared and look good.

+1
    The entire fuel system on this ski needs to be pressure tested to see of there are any leaks at the selector, filter o-ring etc. since carb work hasn't remedied the problem getting a visual on the actual flow coming through the return line back to the tank at idle would tell you anything you need to know about fuel delivery and volume if you know what to look for also check the air inlet and pressure relief one way valves on the tank vent line for proper function.

Some tips on tuning a 1997 GTX to get it back running properly:

The 1997 GTX is one of the very few ski's that BRP sent the majority of them out the door tuned quite a bit different than what the shop manual actually calls for having been published before most of them shipped. Getting one to run right (or the way it used to when it put a smile on your face) can be a little challenging. The dealer network got broiled by customers that bought the early versions of the 787 GTX that tried to tow anything with it and had a miserable time fighting the power band range when the exhaust valves opened too early and the water regulator reduced flow to the tuned pipe.

First thing to verify is compression at 150+ on each cylinder, then verify the ignition is perfect before moving on just because you see a spark means little to nothing you need a proper testing tool to verify the integrity of the ignition pulse using anything less than a Stevens Marine Instrument S48H spark checker is a waste of time and will cause you all sorts of grief misdiagnosing an engine on the fuel side that won't accelerate smoothly to WOT.

The carb settings are in line with that the manual calls for, set the low's to one full turn out from a seated position closed on the mag high adjuster and 1/2 turn open on the pto adjuster.

Inspect and clean the rave valve blades (slotted style required) make sure the bellows aren't hardened and the o'rings are in good shape the housing bores need to be in spec or it will never run right if the bores are worn. The shop manual adjustment procedure for the raves is not how BRP sent them out once they figured out how to make it run right the red adjusters on the raves need to be set all the way down.

Water regulator, same thing the adjustment setting in the manual is wrong BRP sent them out with the adjuster cap turned out 3 full turns and 4 clicks open with three stainless steel washers on top of the piston to act as a shim below the spring make sure they haven't been removed when you open up the water regulator and inspect for any damage to the bellows.

Be sure and inspect the formed exhaust hose for soft spots, especially the final bend before it clamps to the plastic exhaust outlet at the rear of the ski behind the battery I find them often on this model with a hose that feels just a little soft on the outside of that bend and the inside of the hose is completely delaminated and closing off 80% + of the exhaust.

3. +1 by:

saw this thread exactly what is goin on with mine what was the solution

Quote Originally Posted by gpshogan View Post
    1997 Seadoo GTX

Great compression good motor.

When I bought it, it would start and run, but in the water it would just hesitate when applying throttle. It would run okay up to about 1/8 of throttle then that's it. However if I held the choke it about half way it would rev out and run good.

I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs after this and it didn't help. So the I bought a used set of carbs online which were ran through a ultra sonic cleaner and still no good.

I had it out yesterday runs good on 1/2 choke that's it.

Any ideas ? My cab settings are correct. I have added an inline fuel filter also. The pulse line is clean. The fuel lines have been reappeared and look good.

saw this thread i have the exact same issue did you ever find a solution

pretty old thread

Thread Information