Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1
    PCV is the best* way to ventilate for engine longevity.

*The bestest way is to install a catch can in between the valve cover and intake system, but OEMs will not due to the frequent service interval that requires. Why isn't there a custom kit one for sale for Yamaha FZRs? Because Riva is selling a $3 filter for $50 that's why. Riva LOVES easy money so why ruin a good thing?

I ran ski for first time Saturday since ribbon delete and power filter mod...did almost a pin- the- throttle take-off and it was all I could do to hold on! That motor pulled and sounded like a freight train with the power filter intake!...did not remember it sounding like that before.

Banned User
    +1
    Also helps for a couple RPM if you remove the foam behind the air intake vents on the hull

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by riick370 View Post
    PCV is the best* way to ventilate for engine longevity.

*The bestest way is to install a catch can in between the valve cover and intake system, but OEMs will not due to the frequent service interval that requires. Why isn't there a custom kit one for sale for Yamaha FZRs? Because Riva is selling a $3 filter for $50 that's why. Riva LOVES easy money so why ruin a good thing?
    That's not why they don't offer a catch can for the Yamaha. You dont know your 1.8 as well as you flap about on the forums.

I would consider removing the Styrofoam but did not really see how to get to it.

I did pull the left side air vent tubing up from pointing down to bottom of hull, to right beside the riva power filter.

Banned User
    +1
    You have to remove the panel on the outside of the ski to get the foam out.

Maybe the older SHO's had a different oil recovery system for the intake, but the SVHO literally just has a tube going to the intake pipe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Toofast4you View Post
    Just go to your local auto parts store, buy an oil breather filter for under $10, connect to hose coming off crankcase, and mount it with a bracket on motor. Done
    Thats the way mine is set up

+1
    I did the R&D air filter mod but mine is a non-supercharged 1803cc FX. The R&D filter has high quality construction and is very well designed plus it retains a vent hook up for the crankcase vent. I doubt there's much of a performance gain in plugging the crankcase vent with a small cone filter instead of retaining a positive flow crankcase vent. A crankcase vent reduces back pressure on piston down stroke and it evacuates unburned gasses from the crankcase. That keeps your oil clean longer and gets rid of nasty stuff that would otherwise coat the inside of your motor. I have no idea how much cooling a positive crankcase vent does for your motor, except you know it is drawing cool air through the crankcase. Keep in mind that all of the fuel and combustion does not exit through the exhaust valves. Some of it leaks past the piston rings and valve guides into the crankcase during compression stroke. The Yamaha crankcase vent pulls/ recirculates the crankcase gasses back through the throttle body and burns it during combustion. While I have not compared the performance of a RIVA power filter vs. the R&D Power Plenum, I can tell you that I did receive power & speed gains plus the sound enhancements everyone seems to notice. The R&D filter for the NA engine has a built in polymer velocity stack between the filter element and the throttle body and the filter is washable. For a supercharged Yamaha motor, the R&D filter has an aluminum duct tube between the filter and the motor intake. The potential downside of this arrangement is that the aluminum tube may heat soak (collect heat) which may raise air temp on the intake (obviously, the cooler the air, the better for power). Again, I don't have experience with heat soaking but it is just a theory based on the physics of the design. I am sure R&D has a good reason for using an aluminum duct on the supercharger version vs. the polymer velocity stack on the NA engine version of the filter (maybe because the tube on the supercharger version is much longer and requires a stiffer material)

Thanks bizeagle, you seem to make a very good case against doing this mod, especially since we do not get all the oil out during oil changes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information