Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    I finally got around to machining /grinding down my impeller after I TIG welded it up using 312 filler rod. I cobled up a home made tool post grinder that I used a foredom shaft driven grinder. I will make a hanger for the motor and most likely make the tool holder a little better by splitting it and making a cap for it to capture the hand held grinder. I machined this holder on center of the lathe.
    So here we go.

Mounted a grinding wheel to make the initial cuts.

Next use sanding rolls to final polish it and remove the grinding wheel marks.

After a polish. I have to test fit into the housing. I will post more when I get back to it. I used a new factory shaft for a mandrel that I modified. I must say the runout on these things are terrible. Shame on you Kawasaki. Even the bore of the impeller was off too. It also was torqued to specs before machining.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet_ski_impeller_16.jpg 
Views:	1287 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	390128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet_ski_impeller_17.jpg 
Views:	1283 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	390129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet_ski_impeller_18.jpg 
Views:	1223 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	390130  

+1
    Short vid.

+1
    Interesting. But put some plastic on the lathe ways to keep the grit off of them!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Interesting. But put some plastic on the lathe ways to keep the grit off of them!
    The ways were fully cleaned after this. I do have a cutting board plastic but it woul not fit for what I was doing. I had a towel there but got blown away for the pic.

+1
    Done. I must say new factory shafts have some serious runout. Not like the real jet boat Berkeley shafts I am used to. I do not have a 4 jaw so getting this run out to a minimum was challenging when making an impeller cut. My lathe has a half a thou(.0005") run out When I indicated a brand new shaft it had over three and a half thou (.0035") run out. I was able to get it to a thou and a half (.0015") with some "adjustment". Anyway made a final cut and polish and put it in the housing and torqued it up and I checked the clearance with a feeler gauge and got right around nine thou (.009"). I know I can get closer but for this season it is fine. Took it out today and out of the hole is nice and smooth and no odd noises or cavitation. All in all pretty happy with my repair. Here is a final pic of the impeller in the housing with the new wear ring next to the old one. For 69 bucks for the wear ring I would say this is a great deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet_ski_impeller_19.jpg 
Views:	1152 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	392969  

+1
    Good job! I just wish the liner was replaceable on the the Ultra 150 pump.

+1
    Ok had it out all weekend on the sound. Got 52MPH on the dash (no GPS), full tank and 220lbs of me. I think this is about right.
    T.J.

Old thread but heres a couple of videos that show it can be done with pretty basic tools... I make stainless 1.2mm wear rings the same as the uhmwpe one in the video . Its how Hamilton jet do theres on bigger pumps

Heres another way too do blade ODs if you dont have a lathe

+1
    That's interesting, mohawk! Guess you do what ya gotta do! How do you keep track of the diameter when grinding the blades?

+1
    Mowhawk. I have commented on those vids. Cool idea. Do you have any vids of you fabricating the stainless wear ring. The Kawi wear rings are very thin. So locating a piece of UHMW(whatever it is called) might be a large task, albeit I have not really looked. I think going the plastic wear ring route will save impeller wear as I am in salt water and at the beach a lot even though the wear ring and impeller are stainless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information