Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

When is a Tunnel Reinforcment Required on a FX SVHO

With so many performance kits available from R & D, Riva and Worx at what stage is it recommended to reinforce the tunnel? Is it based on max RPM and speed, or other factors?

If I was to purchase an R&D stage 2 kit or Riva Racing stage 2 kit would a tunnel reinforcement be recommended?

There seems to be a lot of threads on GPR tunnel reinforcement but not FX SVHO

Thanks for any input.

Banned User
    +1
    You're comparing a fiberglass hull designed 17 years ago to a sheet press hull made 3 years ago. It's safe to say that issue has been resolved.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by riick370 View Post
    You're comparing a fiberglass hull designed 17 years ago to a sheet press hull made 3 years ago. It's safe to say that issue has been resolved.
    again, your a idiot that talks out his ass, if you going to be going over 80 or wave jumping, do the reinforcement, GPR, FZ and FX tunnels will blow out, I bought a FZ with a blown tunnel, and one its cracked, its junk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
    With so many performance kits available from R & D, Riva and Worx at what stage is it recommended to reinforce the tunnel? Is it based on max RPM and speed, or other factors?

If I was to purchase an R&D stage 2 kit or Riva Racing stage 2 kit would a tunnel reinforcement be recommended?

There seems to be a lot of threads on GPR tunnel reinforcement but not FX SVHO

Thanks for any input.
    anything over 78 mph I recommend reinforcing the tunnel.

Banned User
    +1
    There has been no reported failures on the nano (2) hull that I'm aware of, or has there been?

Don't listen to this guy. He has been posting useless information on every thread.

I haven't seen issues with pump tunnels on any of the new FX models 2012+ or FZ models after 2014.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmfmk3 View Post
    Don't listen to this guy. He has been posting useless information on every thread.

I haven't seen issues with pump tunnels on any of the new FX models 2012+ or FZ models after 2014.
    the 14/14/16 FZ with the plates have has much success, but I'd still do the reinforcement if I was going to build to go mid 70s and higher, I know I will when I get my hands on a FX hull. the small investment is worth the fact that if it does crack, the hull is junk, not to just get the bottoms to hold up, nanoXcell and the nanoXcell2 sucks period, theres a reason why they went back to SMC on the V1 series rental skis
    Last edited by big john; 04-25-2016 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling

+1
    Some say reinforce it stock, some say reinforce at 90 mph. Everyone has opinions. From what I have personally seen, pre 2014 seem to crack around 80 mph post 2014 seem to crack closer to around 88 mph. The 2014 are reinforced better in stock form.

For the few dollars, why not just do it and not worry about it? While you are at it you might as well reseal the transom plate! I did mine to be safe.

One note to notice. When ordering the FZ reinforcement there are two different ones. I bought one from a friend cause he couldnt use it and found that it was for the pre 2014 so it overlapped with the drive shaft reinforcement piece. Not to worry, if you got wrong one by mistake. You can just grind the top edge of the reinforcement area where the side is too tall about 1/4 inch to make it work and no longer overlap. Dont grind the hull, grind the reinforcement. You can see in my pic what I am talking about. See how it overlaps the OEM reinforcement for drive shaft.

Luckily I did a how to and even went back and refered to my own thread for a refresher.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ghlight=tunnel

BTW - This is the epoxy I used. I love this stuff!
    https://www.fgci.com/bp_viewproduct....oldItem=135363
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160402_110805.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	386148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160402_144752.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	386149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160401_235052.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	386150  

9. +1 by:

+1
    The only fiberglass Yamaha hull that Yamaha has made that I am aware of was the SUV

GP is SMC, XLs are SMC, XLTs are SMC, and the GPR is SMC

11. +1 by:

+1
    dont forget the VX700's fibreglass too..
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    The only fiberglass Yamaha hull that Yamaha has made that I am aware of was the SUV

GP is SMC, XLs are SMC, XLTs are SMC, and the GPR is SMC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information