Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2000 polaris virage 701 not running right NEED HELP!!!PLEASE

Ok. So today I purchased a2000polarisvirage701 and I have never owned one before got it and went strait to the water. Me and my girlfriend rode it for about an hour no problems at all and all of a sudden at 50mph it just dies. Fired right back up and a few minutes later did the same thing and about 5 more time to where it wouldn't even start and when it did it would idle a little rough and when I would go to give it gas again just die. Finally got it to idle back to the boat ramp about a mile and a couple of time got a good wiff of gas. And I have no idea what to even look for.lol please help

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by robbiewolfe View Post
    Ok. So today I purchased a 2000 polaris virage 701 and I have never owned one before got it and went straight to the water.

Me and my girlfriend rode it for about an hour no problems at all and all of a sudden at 50mph it just dies. Fired right back up and a few minutes later did the same thing and about 5 more time to where it wouldn't even start and when it did it would idle a little rough and when I would go to give it gas again just die.

Finally got it to idle back to the boat ramp about a mile and a couple of time got a good wiff of gas.

And I have no idea what to even look for...
    Welcome

Well, there will be a learning curve here.

With any brand of older watercraft, the first thing to do is not to take it to the water and ride it around for an hour. That would be the last thing. And when you do eventually test ride it, you do so without a passenger. You do want another watercraft or boat with you during the test rides in case you need a tow or other assistance.

There is an abundance of helpful information available in these forums, and additional useful info when you click on my signature links.

Going forward, you need to evaluate the current condition of the machine. You need to understand what is working properly, what is broken, what needs further investigation, and perhaps what parts are missing, and what needs repair.

My suspicion is that something was overlooked or not operating correctly and it has caused the engine to not run properly.

First things to check; How much oil is in the oil tank?
    Has the engine been converted to premix oil in the gasoline or is the factory oil injection system in place and operational?

Check cylinder compression on each cylinder:
    Remove both spark plugs, use a screw in compression tester into one of the spark plug holes. Hold the throttle wide open, crank engine for a short while until the gauge reading stabilizes. Write down the gauge PSI number, then move gauge to the other spark plug hole. Zero the gauge and crank engine again with throttle open, record this number. Report both numbers here.

There are a lot of other things that should also be checked, this is just a starting point.

Do click on my signature links and do some reading.

Thanks for responding. Is not premixed. It it oil injected and how could I tell if it is working corectly. Also I made sure it have oil plenty of oil.and also where can I get a cylinder tester and how much?

And after all this I took the plugs out and they were deffinetly bad. So I got new one. But haven't put them in yet. And also the final ride back to the boat Doce it was idle zone and it idles kind of rough almost like a knocking?? Could that be bad plugs or coil pack?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by robbiewolfe View Post
    And after all this I took the plugs out and they were deffinetly bad. So I got new one. But haven't put them in yet.

And also the final ride back to the boat Doce it was idle zone and it idles kind of rough almost like a knocking?? Could that be bad plugs or coil pack?
    Are you using the correct NGK brand spark plugs with the correct part number for your engine?

The oil you put in the watercraft is 2-stroke oil, not car type motor oil, correct?

Yes oil was penzoil marine 2 stroke tcw3. And yes spark plugs are correck

2000 polaris virage 700 compression test.. how to

How do I perform the compression test I have the test ready to do but don't know how. And what's it supposed to be at??? Please help

Ok. So I did a pressure test and the rear cylinder is 120 psi and front is about 30-40 psi..??????? Thanks for replying

2000 polaris virage bad compression???

So I just did a compression test on my 2000 polaris virage 700 2 cyl. And the rear cylinder is 120 psi and the front cylinder was at 30psi?? It was running bad. Anyone know what to do.lol please help

+1
    Time for a rebuild.. but you need to find what caused jt. Did you go through fuel system? All oil lines hooked up?

It's very easy to pull the water jacket cover and head to take a peek

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information