+1

Anybody installed a bilge pump on an stx?

I'm gonna install an automatic bilge pump in my 08 stx15. Anybody done this? What brand? Where did you drill and place your discharge?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Yes I have done this. Let me know if you still need the info.

+1
    I got it installed. Used a pvc check valve from the Lowe's plumbing section but it isn't strong enough to pump through it. It's a 20 lb valve, which I didn't realize when I bought it. I'm gonna take the valve out soon and retest. Did you use one? I only ride on a lake and have never even turned over so I don't see that I really need a check valve.

+1
    I really don't think you need one. YES, I posted a warning about installing one, because my nephew flipped his Ultra an swore that water flooded it through the bilge hose. I've changed my stance on this. About the only way I can see that happening is if the 'Ski is on it's side, with the bilge pump outlet under water. If it's completely upside down, the water shouldn't be able to rise from the outlet up to the bilge pump to flood the hull.

You can buy 1/2 PSI rated valves all day long on Ebay.

5. +1 by:

I used a rule 500 gph pump, made my own harness with a fuse holder installed a switch inside of compartment behind handle bars. Pump is glued to hull using ge 5200 behind battery on right hand side, discharge is located where your hooks are on the right hand side (stxr does not have these hooks)

You really don't need a check valve unless you plan on jumping it in the ocean, and at that point you still prob dont need one. And if your flipping the stx a very soild ski i should be riding with you!

+1
    Lol yeah I'm just gonna get a double nipple splice and remove the valve

+1
    I literally have the exact same set up as Turboman... I have a water proof switch in the same spot but opposite side as the orange on/off key. made my own wire harness and put it in its own black wire tubing stuff already used in the ski for wires - Ran it along the main waterbox side and up the ski to the switch, installing loops where the bolts are that hold the dock ties on to hold the wire. Works great and looks professional. I used a Rule 500 GPH. I put the exit nozzle at the back between the tow hook and the most rear dock tie hook. I used the plastic bolt it came with, with loctite, and screwed it on, I also siliconed around the outside part of the nozzle for a better seal. As for the pump itslef, it is right on the bottom of the hull where the second waterbox used to be. Held on by JB weld and two little screws.

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    I used a rule 500 gph pump, made my own harness with a fuse holder installed a switch inside of compartment behind handle bars. Pump is glued to hull using ge 5200 behind battery on right hand side, discharge is located where your hooks are on the right hand side (stxr does not have these hooks)

You really don't need a check valve unless you plan on jumping it in the ocean, and at that point you still prob dont need one. And if your flipping the stx a very soild ski i should be riding with you!

Thread Information