Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigburd View Post
    good call, was noticing "rogue oil" in the bildge. Must be it cuz you cant see it under the air plenum. I cant stomach the $150 ish for a filter and reservoir or ruining my new IC. there must be a cheaper solution.
    Dont want to sound rude because it's not the intent. If you can afford water toys, you can afford $150 and not blink a eye to it. $150 is a drop in the bucket, it's like saying the cost of oil filter too much compared to automotive. This is a pay to play hobby, if you are not prepared to pay. Probally best to get out now.
    Last edited by moparguy; 10-18-2018 at 05:11 PM.

2. +1 by:

Any advantage to installing one of these on a N/A motor?

On many engines the intercooler IS the catch can. Lolz.

+1
    It's only a can, you can make one from a dollar store sippy cup filled with steel wool and zip tie it to something. Or get a grf can if you dont wanna look like a hillbilly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by moparguy View Post
    Dont want to sound rude because it's not the intent. If you can afford water toys, you can afford $150 and not blink a eye to it. $150 is a drop in the bucket, it's like saying the cost of oil filter too much compared to automotive. This is a pay to play hobby, if you are not prepared to pay. Probally best to get out now.
    Yea man i hear you your right, it just sux I have 2 RXP's and 1 RXT and its never ends with these. Every week im buying another $500 part off fleeebay!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Acosper123 View Post
    Any advantage to installing one of these on a N/A motor?
    cleaner intake, which in theory could mean you are losing horsepower if you got oil gunked up on your intake hoses, but in reality its prob not worth it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigburd View Post
    cleaner intake, which in theory could mean you are losing horsepower if you got oil gunked up on your intake hoses, but in reality its prob not worth it.
    Search automotive catch can on
    ebay....40.00 and up

I am still conflicted. About half of the people I correspond with say "Do it," half say "not needed." Some "in the weeds" thoughts here -
    some say a drawback to putting one on prevents the throttle-body from being lubricated and can lead to an expensive repair. A very few have picked up on the sub-marketing point that having a breather with the unit means that the engine is not burning re-circulated hot, contaminated fumes. Some even claim this leads to more horsepower - to me, that sounds like something a Marketing Dept. would exaggerate to sell more units.
    I will say this - the thought that I might be contaminating my intercooler over time and would have to pull it out to clean it (terribly difficult to get to and remove on a 2018RXPX300) is almost enough to make me do an install . SO - WHAT SAY YOU ALL ABOUT the fume recirculation claim and the inter-cooler clogging?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinSoCal View Post
    I am still conflicted. About half of the people I correspond with say "Do it," half say "not needed." Some "in the weeds" thoughts here -
    some say a drawback to putting one on prevents the throttle-body from being lubricated and can lead to an expensive repair. A very few have picked up on the sub-marketing point that having a breather with the unit means that the engine is not burning re-circulated hot, contaminated fumes. Some even claim this leads to more horsepower - to me, that sounds like something a Marketing Dept. would exaggerate to sell more units.
    I will say this - the thought that I might be contaminating my intercooler over time and would have to pull it out to clean it (terribly difficult to get to and remove on a 2018RXPX300) is almost enough to make me do an install . SO - WHAT SAY YOU ALL ABOUT the fume recirculation claim and the inter-cooler clogging?

The purpose of recirculating engine fumes back into the engine is NOT to lubricate your throttle body. It's for emissions purposes. Leaving this system in place to "lubricate" the throttle body is absolutely foolish! You are also coating your intercooler with oil causing it to lose efficiency.

The engine rebreathing vapors lowers the knock rating of your fuel. Reduced knock rating can cause pinging which is picked up by the knock sensor causing the ECU to pull timing causing power loss. No, installing a catch can will not make your engine gain more power, it just keeps it from losing power. These are facts! Not some marketing department ploy to drive sales.

You will find catch can's in use in the automotive world on cars with forced induction (superchargers and turbos) They are needed, and for good reason. Skis are no different!

Hope that helps!

11. +1 by:

I agree in theory that a catch can should be used, so much so that I purchased one and installed it on my 2018 GTX 300 before I ever used it. However, throughout the entire season (60 hours) it never collected a drop of anything. I thought I may have installed it wrong or that a hose was kinked or clogged, but I carefully checked all of that. Not sure what to make of this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information