Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

04 ultra 150.. high idle?

Hello everyone..

I have a 04 ultra 150 and I just picked it up not running for cheap.. I got her running pretty quickly. However if she is on the trailer and you rev her a few times the idle will hang. What causes this? If I shut her down and restart all is well.

No idea how she will act in the water until this weekend probably..

Also is 120/100/120 ok compression to continue using this motor? I am deleting the oil injection before she takes a dip.

Thanks..

here is a quick clip.. At the end you can hear it.I had to press the stop button.

+1
    Possibly a sticky slide in one of the carbs.

ya I just read the 150 bible someone posted.. Very strange to have CV carbs on a ski.. I am used to them with classic bikes.

any input on the compression?

+1
    Looks like the middle cylinder might have a problem, but I'd run it a little and check it again. Might have a sticky ring or something.

I just noticed that you want to remove the oil injection--DO NOT REMOVE THE OIL INJECTION SYSTEM!!!!!! The pump also supplies oil to the balance shaft bearings, which is then fed to the front and rear cylinders.

Just replace the oil lines with polyurethane hose and secure with stainless steel safety wire. The oil pumps don't fail.

couldnt you just route the oil lines that go to the carbs back to the tank or pump.. or even to the hose thats for the shaft bearings.. then you could run premix without hurting the other stuff?

+1
    Yeah don't remove the oil injection! Have to weld up cases to stop design of oil then change out oil in cases all the time. Never heard of anyone keeping case oil and returning 3 cylinder lines but sounds possible. Still I wouldn't worry about it, just replace the lines with poly and safety wire or zip ties. The stock lock rings don't hold much but then again not a lot of pressure on the lines anyhow. Here is the line I used from home depot.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chi...EC10/204407916

9. +1 by:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

alright well I put her in the water after work to see what she would do. Fired right up. Never had a ski start so quick. Before I put her in the water I checked to make sure the oil lines were still attached. I also premixed some gas to MAKE SURE she was lubing..

Anyway.. This ski runs like a bat out of hell. The idle does not hang in the water at all. so I guess the back pressure helps.

My gauge cluster appears to be working but is almost impossible to see. Maybe the backlight is burned out? Is this common?

Only problem I found while riding was occasionally at WOT it would bog down and if you held through it (only like 2-5 seconds) then it would take off again and be good for alittle bit. I am thinking that my premix plus the oil injection might just be causing to much oil... Or maybe the carbs need a good cleaning? Thoughts?

She sounded great. Only got her to 55-60 according to what I could read on the gauge.

+1
    Sounds like a fuel problem. Try changing the fuel filter, then go through the carbs if that doesn't help. Do NOT let it run lean. What do the plugs look like? Do another compression test while you have them out. If the middle cylinder is still low, you would be wise to pull it and take a look before you blow it up.

There is no backlight on the display. If the display is dark, it's been out in the sun too much and is ruined. If the segments are faint, it may have moisture in it and will fail unless you get it dried out quickly. There is a rubber plug on the back that dries out and doesn't seal well when it gets old. Pull the plug, dry with a hair dryer, then seal the plug with 3M 5200.

Excess oil won't cause hesitation or bogging. The speedo should read a little higher, but you really need a GPS/radar to know for sure. The sensor wheel on the back of the 'Ski may not be adjusted right, should be flush. Mine will show 70-72, but I've never GPS'd it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information