Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

X4 bottom hull Mods

Hi guys, i was looking pictures of the skis from the old days, and i saw that the pro Racers use to modified the bottom part of the hull. In one picture i saw fischetti´s ski had a cover on the bottom so you can´t see the shape, make no sense if its stock, and i also saw a picture of tommy Bonacci´s Ski and you can see that the bottom part of the hull was very different from the stock one. Any body knows wich mods they do? i know the were aftermarket Carbon Fiber hulls, but maybe someone can tell me de differences in shape or show me some pics. Someone told me that some racers used to use the bottom part from de hyperbolic hull glued to the x4 top deck any clue?

Thanks

+1
    Back in the "old days" (as you say), those riders were riding full-mods and you can do almost anything on bottom deck (IJSBA). They tried to keep it secret because there was lots of new designs and experiments being done and everyone wanted to be out front. Back then R7 ruled and there were races every other weekend. Many of the riders had a full factory ride. Some of the other teams used variations of the SeaDoo hull (another reason why hide shape). Back then, SeaDoo skis filled the podium every weekend all over the US.

When the '95 XP-800 (785 class) came out, Seadoo took everything that was learned from the racers and made a turn-key race boat. That hull became legendary (X4). One thing that SeaDoo did on the X4 in production was soften the strakes a little for the general public. So if you sharpen the two strakes (fore-aft) and maybe raise them 2-3mm at peak it will help handling. These types of mods really played well with the "Fish" since he raced standing up (notice his very tall seats). Bullet racing were one of a few that made hulls.

I never played with re-shaping bottom but I made my own sponsons (still do today) before Beach House or Worx came into the scene with aftermarket options. As I'm sure you know, good sponsons transform the X4 hulls. Having the factory behind racers with endless pockets brought fast and endless innovation. It was a great time for PWC!

3. +1 by:

+1
    The old days. Yea. lol I had a X4 back then, all stock. I had the chance to ride one a couple of years ago with Beach House sponsons. Man, talk about night and day, like you say. Soooo, when I started collecting parts for my 97, that was one of the first things I found.

Thanks for the info guys, i never ride my x4 withouth sponsons, i have it with sponsons since i bought it, a few years ago switched the sponsons (didnt know wich ones i had) to a set of beach house modified by bill o neal at watercraft magic, my ski has already a lot of handling mods, but in my class im the only one racing an x4 against a lot of xpl and they go trough the chop a lot better than me, thats the reason of my question, now i have a set of r&d trim tabs, but my ski got broke in the last race so i couldn't test it

thanks

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by El mono View Post
    but in my class im the only one racing an x4 against a lot of xpl and they go trough the chop a lot better than me, thats the reason of my question, now i have a set of r&d trim tabs, but my ski got broke in the last race so i couldn't test it
    I had a really nice XPL (with Worx sponsons) also and there is NOTHING you can do to an X4 to make it handle the chop as good or better than those XPL's.

+1
    Thanks for the info guys, i never ride my x4 withouth sponsons, i have it with sponsons since i bought it, a few years ago switched the sponsons (didnt know wich ones i had) to a set of beach house modified by bill o neal at watercraft magic, my ski has already a lot of handling mods, but in my class im the only one racing an x4 against a lot of xpl and they go trough the chop a lot better than me, thats the reason of my question, now i have a set of r&d trim tabs, but my ski got broke in the last race so i couldn't test it

thanks
    You don't want to ride a X4 hull with out sponsons. They are very unstable then and are almost uncontrable. The counts for the trim tabs at the rear of the hull. I kept breaking my beach house sponsons, so I made them out of aluminium. Same shape as the one from beach house and no problem after that. The x4 hull with sponsons, R&D aquavein intake grate and it will unleash a beast. I will never swap my 1996 Xp for anything else

Quote Originally Posted by aruba yamaha View Post

thanks
    You don't want to ride a X4 hull with out sponsons. They are very unstable then and are almost uncontrable. The counts for the trim tabs at the rear of the hull. I kept breaking my beach house sponsons, so I made them out of aluminium. Same shape as the one from beach house and no problem after that. The x4 hull with sponsons, R&D aquavein intake grate and it will unleash a beast. I will never swap my 1996 Xp for anything else
    Without sponsons? never! haha, yes i know that beach house sponsons could break so thats why bill o neal modified them, they are reinforced and i don´t know what else, i already have a JD intake Grate and the R&D trim tabs that i couldn´t test, my mechanic told me he also had hydraulic trim tabs that made a huge difference when he was a racer, i dont want to swap it either, i raced once with an xpl and i hated it! but was a lot more confortable than my ski.

This is was i was talking about, i thouht it was the x4 with the cover on the hull but was an hx, in the westcoast race ski from Tommy bonacci you can see that the bottom part of the hull is very different from the stock one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1510469_10152171097372437_1537012053_n.jpg 
Views:	3276 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	382278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1555380_498764913566854_707531973_n.jpg 
Views:	3492 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	382279  

This is was i was talking about, i thouht it was the x4 with the cover on the hull but was an hx, in the westcoast race ski from Tommy bonacci you can see that the bottom part of the hull is very different from the stock one
    Damn I see some bad ass modded skis and a 95 xp800 hiding in the back

+1
    Those Westcoast/Banacci skis looked so sweet !!! I want one !!! lol...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information