+1

Cylinder head removal??

Does anybody have a manual or know the processes and special tools needed to remove the cylinder head from a spark. Spark plug broke off in the head and so did the ezout

Banned User
    +1
    damn thats shitty.

Just had a sparkplug break in the head of a 2016 kx450. How did it break?
    Mine broke the threads clean off but everything else came out. Filed a screwdriver down (flathead) and wedged it in between the ground electrode (small curved metal at the bottom of the plug) and unscrewed it.

+1

+1
    What a bitch ...

+1
    Take it to a machine shop they have better tools could save you time and money

+1
    How the hell did that happen? We're these plugs original factory installed? If so I would be at a dealer bitching right now. If not who installed them without a torque wrench or proper tightening procedure.

but I would take it to a shop and let a pro with all the fancy tools deal with it. Otherwise you will cause more damage that you will fix.

+1
    An this is why you take out the extended warranty plan.

Thread Revival>

Curious about the outcome of this, I am having the same issue. The plugs were only a little over a year old and one broke off in the head. I then tried to get it out with an EZ out and broke the EZ out in it.

Next plan is to remove the head and try to drill it out backwards from the combustion chamber side. I tried drilling/grinding from the top with the head in place but I can't get centered on the plug as its so deep inside the valve cover. Just ordered all the seals, gasket and bolts for a head removal. Link to shop manual above is helpful.

+1
    Heyzeus cripes, I’m trailering our Spark outta the lake Monday for its first end-of-season plug pull (brand new this Spring TRixx now around 35+ hours) and man-oh-man, exactly like I heard these same anecdotes about the Kawasaki factory installed plugs, I’m gonna be bitin’ boolits til I get those factory installed plugs out!

CANNOT WAIT to get some anti-seize on those threads!

(And, THANK YOU xdrian for posting up that link to the manual!

Dang, just tried to open the manual link and Google will not allow it to open (too old of a link, maybe? )

So I finished up what was supposed to be a 1-1.5hr oil and plug change that turned into a pull the head to drill out the broken spark plug ordeal.

The shop manual was very helpful and pulling the head on these skis is actually not a hard job since access is so easy with the split hull. Once the head was out drilling the plug out from the back side was very easy.

I initially tried to drill to pull the plug out with an EZ out and that just broke in the plug as well.

New plugs have grease on the threads, I was surprised at how rusty the plugs looked I guess moisture is somehow getting into the combustion chamber when the ski is sitting. Nothing else on the engine looked particualry worn or corroded and it has just under 100hrs on it. This was the second set of plugs. First ones came out easy and also had rusty tips.

Thread Information