+1

Cluster units question

I ordered a CanDoo GPS for my ski. And I should be over 70mph with the mods I'm adding. The 2006 cluster won't read over 69MPH, but I saw a thread on changing the cluster to KPH so it will read over 69mph.

My question, does anyone know if changing the speedometer from MPH to KPH will also change the water temp from Fahrenheit to Celsius? And the depth finder from feet to meters?
    I only want to change the speedometer, but I have a feeling it will change temp and depth too..

Sorry, yes, once you switch to Metric you are "all-in". Embrace the meters (and Celsuis!)

+1
    Oh man I was afraid of that. Theres no way to flash the cluster? I want to have all three working correctly, but I can't really look down and convert units in my head lol.
    Also, can CANDoo Pro do the metric switch or do I need the dealer to use buds?
    Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by tmarsh; 02-18-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Sorry, no way to flash the cluster to provide mixed-mode (Metric/imperial)

Our CANDooPro Diagnostic system can switch the cluster from imperial to metric.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CANDooPro View Post
    Sorry, no way to flash the cluster to provide mixed-mode (Metric/imperial) ...
    Perhaps there is an opportunity to create a new module/product that will intercept the lake temperature and depth sensor signals and scale the feeds to the display so that 'US/imperial' numeric readings appear while the display shows metric nomenclature.

Do for temperature and water depth what you are doing for speed.

6. +1 by:

Sure, that is possible, however, it is not easy to do. For one, lake temp is measured by a thermistor, so we would need to apply a standard voltage, do an A/D conversion of our own, but then present a psuedo-variable resistance (actually a variable voltage, which the ECU would interpret as resistance for its own calculation.) The A/D input part is fairly straightforward as the microcontroller we use now has A/D inputs. But the variable voltage output would have to be synthesized via a PWM to analog conversion scheme, with a simultaneous feedback loop to the A/D for control. This adds lots of analog circuitry.

However, this is not the most complex task. Depth is much more complex to scale. from a hardware perspective. The reason is because the output of the depth sensor is CAN. So we would have to be able to break into the CAN line from the Depth Sensor to MPEM (or ECU on later models), which means a new set of in-line connectors, then input the CAN message from the depth sensor, then output a scaled CAN message to the MPEM with the new values. This means a much more expensive microcontroller with two CAN channels, and two CAN transceiver chips along with supporting parts.

Nobody would buy what we would have to sell it for, price-wise.

A far better way would be to reflash the cluster with new software. We are already planning to get into the reflashing/editing/tuning business, but we are just getting started. We are doing it differently than Vtech and others, and plan to do it much more cost-effectively. While the main focus would be on ECU reflashing/tuning, we could reflash the clusters with an override to allow them to display values greater than the 67-72 MPH limits they show today.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CANDooPro View Post
    Sure, that is possible, however, it is not easy to do. For one, lake temp is measured by a thermistor, so we would need to apply a standard voltage, do an A/D conversion of our own, but then present a psuedo-variable resistance (actually a variable voltage, which the ECU would interpret as resistance for its own calculation.) The A/D input part is fairly straightforward as the microcontroller we use now has A/D inputs. But the variable voltage output would have to be synthesized via a PWM to analog conversion scheme, with a simultaneous feedback loop to the A/D for control. This adds lots of analog circuitry....
    Consider doing the temp signal conversion entirely in analog circuitry?

Reflash of the instrument cluster sounds promising. Keep us posted.

I looked at this first. (scaling via analog) Not really practical since the sensor resistance by temp is non-linear.
    Last edited by CANDooPro; 02-19-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Thread Information