Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

95 HX Craigslist Barn Find

Here is my latest prize... negotiated the guy down to a "crisp" $100 bill... lol
    I have a few other projects to get moved out of the garage before i begin, but i have already cleaned her up a little and done a compression test and heard her run a little on some mixed fuel from a spray bottle. Compression was measured before running... i hope one cylinder had some oil in it because i read 120/150...
    She seems to be complete but bearings in the bearing carrier are toast, cylinders look like an SBT top end kit was done at some point so the engine is coming completely apart for an evaluation.
    I am hoping to change out all of the purple parts for black ones or paint them, the white will sand and buff and so will the hood. So i am passively shopping for black (96-97HX) suspension covers, a gauge pod and a handlebar cover or some aftermarket handlebars... It should be a pretty cool river toy when completely restored, i am going to go totally stock unless someone gives me a smoking deal that I can't pass up on a pipe and supporting parts to lightly mod it for some additional power. These things have a 7 gallon fuel tank so i am not going too far on it, so i can compromise some reliability for a little bit of fun on this one i suppose. I feel like i need to cram a bilge pump in her somewhere, so if anyone has done a bilge pump install in a HX before pics would be much appreciated. Hopefully in a month or two i can start working on it and i'll post some progress... I don't have time to dedicate to her right now, but i couldn't pass up the opportunity to own one of these that's fixable for chump change...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4083.PNG 
Views:	1474 
Size:	627.8 KB 
ID:	380455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4070.jpg 
Views:	1532 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	380456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4071.jpg 
Views:	1386 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	380457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4072.jpg 
Views:	1414 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	380458  

+1
    Nice! Ouside looks kinda rough, but iside the hull doesnt look bad at all.

+1
    PM me if anyone knows the whereabouts of a 1986 or newer WetBike, possibly for sale.

Had one thirty years ago but I sunk it.
    Would like another one for old times sake even though I just bought a new rxpx 300.

+1
    Yeah, a wash job went a long ways, i forgot to take after wash pics... stickers are going and a wet sand a buff should help a whole lot. It doesn't have dents, gouges, scratches and the like, it's just oxidized pretty badly and that i can fix... It was stored for at least 3 years in an open barn where i bought it from.

inside of the hull looks like its in great shape. outside looks rough but nothing a little tlc can't fix. good find

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WildAssBill View Post
    PM me if anyone knows the whereabouts of a 1986 or newer WetBike, possibly for sale.

Had one thirty years ago but I sunk it.
    Would like another one for old times sake even though I just bought a new rxpx 300.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1989-Wet...m=111890486401

This sucker has been on ebay for at least 2 years now that i know of... maybe you will be the one to pony up... lol.

+1
    Check that one out

wetbike $895
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/5416913289.html

+1
    Compression should be around 150 on both. Possibly fuel related and started scoring a cylinder/piston. Try a squish test with solder. The 717 has a very long crank and some nasty harmonics. I've seen a couple 717 engines with low compression on the rear cylinder that was actually caused by crank bearings so worn that the piston couldn't get to TDC. A squish test will show it for sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Compression should be around 150 on both. Possibly fuel related and started scoring a cylinder/piston. Try a squish test with solder. The 717 has a very long crank and some nasty harmonics. I've seen a couple 717 engines with low compression on the rear cylinder that was actually caused by crank bearings so worn that the piston couldn't get to TDC. A squish test will show it for sure.
    Yeah, I oiled the other cylinder and they evened up... It's still getting torn down probably because i don't really trust the handywork of who knows who put that top end on...
    I'll get it out of the barn in a few months and get right with it... many projects ahead of this one now.

+1
    I got down to the clerks office yesterday and got the transfer and registration done finally... it's in my name so i suppose i'm commited now... lol. Title should be in the mail in a few weeks but i already have the KY numbers and reg stickers... DIY lettering here i come for the KY numbers to be cut.
    Last edited by wkuadam07; 06-10-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information