Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Thumbs up How to - Fix steering column play

The sparks use 2 plastic wear rings as bushings for the steering column to turn in. These wear over time, giving you a steering column that "flops around" in the ski. Grab your handlebars, and push them away from you, then pull toward you. If they move a lot, you have worn steering column wear rings.

Luckily, these are very easy to replace, as well as cheap. The two cost me $24 or so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160125_140132.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	379864

There is a t30 torx screw under the front cover piece, under the pointy bit at the front. Remove this screw, then push in the tab at the rear of the cover, and slide the whole thing forward and off.

Name:	IMG_20160125_140835.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	379865

You will then see something like this. Note that this is the worx column, the stock column will look different, so don't worry. In this picture, you want to remove the two e-torx bolts on either side of the column, holding it to the steering arm. On the stock steering, these will be 2 10mm bolts, not e-torx.

Name:	IMG_20160125_141029.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	379866

Once the bolts are removed, the steering column can be pulled up, so it looks like this. You can see the lower wear ring, the white thing down the bottom. Both the wear rings are split, so can be removed and replaced without removing the column completely.

Name:	IMG_20160125_141040.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	379867

This is the top wear ring.

Name:	IMG_20160125_141122.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	379868

Remove the old wear rings.

Name:	IMG_20160125_141156.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	379869

And fit the new ones in their place. I greased the hell out of mine with some standard marine grease.

Then simply reverse all the rest of the steps, and enjoy your slop free steering. Should also increase the smoothness at the same time. Big difference for a small amount of cash and time.

+1
    That's is great info thanks
    That's the sort of info we want here
    Thanks

+1
    No worries mate, happy to help. All the other seadoos have tonnes of how-tos, we need some more for the sparks. If anyone has how-to requests, let me know, I'm always pulling my skis apart, happy to document different bits to help build up a spark knowledge base.

I'll have to meet up with you for a jump sometime!

+1
    Nice one, thanks Brendan that's such a great resource.

I am definitely keen to get out on the water with you too mate, I heard you and Troy went out the other day.

I have been so busy with the house I didn't manage to get out this weekend.

+1
    Nice post, I guess this makes it very clear where the squeaking noise is coming from and where to lubricate. As soon as I see something like this I start to wonder how you could improve the construction.

You guys who has installed the Worx steering column, does it retain the same bushings?

+1
    It seems that BRP is a little skimpy on the grease from the factory. When I took mine apart there was hardly any there.
    and : The WORX steering system uses the same OEM bushings but IMO there is a lot less friction put on them with the aluminium column.

+1
    Going to do this in the spring. I'm always greasing the bushings with XPS after a ride because they tend to get rather tight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by demon8991 View Post

I am definitely keen to get out on the water with you too mate, I heard you and Troy went out the other day.

Sounds good mate, I know how it is with other chores. Yep we went for a bit of a ride, it was quite eventful haha.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP-SWE View Post
    Nice post, I guess this makes it very clear where the squeaking noise is coming from and where to lubricate. As soon as I see something like this I start to wonder how you could improve the construction.

You guys who has installed the Worx steering column, does it retain the same bushings?
    There isn't really anything to improve unfortunately, its not a bad system, just needs the bushings replaced when they wear. The bushings are the same for the worx column, but as mentioned, feels smoother with the aluminium.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by demon8991 View Post

Sounds good mate, I know how it is with other chores. Yep we went for a bit of a ride, it was quite eventful haha.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP-SWE View Post

There isn't really anything to improve unfortunately, its not a bad system, just needs the bushings replaced when they wear. The bushings are the same for the worx column, but as mentioned, feels smoother with the aluminium.
    Ok, good thing it's not that expensive and complicated to fix then I'm probably going with the Worx column if my E-TEC project is successful.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanm View Post
    Yep we went for a bit of a ride, it was quite eventful haha.
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information