1996 Kawasaki STS-750 -Trying to Restore Her!

Guys,

First post; use other forums often.

I'm an avid Boater. Owned and run a few Malibu boats over the years. Love to slalom ski, wakeboard and surf. Dad of three kids; busy as _hit.

Anyway, my father in law has a 1996 Kawasaki STS-750. Machine has been BOMBER for about 15 years.

My wife and I used to run the machine like crazy for summer after summer on their lake cabin in North Central North Dakota.

Machine is in VERY nice shape. Never crashed, never beached hard. It's been ridden hard, but always cared for.

The machine ran great from 1996-2010. I would say about 50 hours per year or 700 total engine hours.

Anyway, father in law says I can have machine if I can get it running.

The machine will start up and run great for 5-10 minutes. Then it just shuts off and will not start again until it cools down.

I haven't really dug into it much. My brother in law took it to (2) different shops and the service techs simply say "it runs fine."

However, after we get it back to the lake and fire it up, it shuts down within 10 minutes of running it (usually across the bay and we need to go get it with pontoon and rope).

I'm hoping some people on this forum can help me get this thing running.

I'm building a new lake cabin and would like to share some memories with my 5, 11, and 15 year old on this machine.

thanks,

Craig

(this is NOT the machine, but looks identical)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	listing_pic_821426_1404434725_zpsiyfukqv9.jpeg 
Views:	7816 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	379534  

+1
    Welcome aboard, ArcticSlalom!

Does it run well during the 10 minutes that it runs? When it shuts down, does it just quit, or does it sputter and bog down?

Try running it with the seat off and see if there might be an exhaust leak that's dumping fumes into the engine compartment. You might also have a fuel system venting problem, try loosening the fuel cap and see if it will run again.

You may also have water or trash in the fuel, especially common these days with ethanol fuel.

It may be time to go through the carbs & fuel pump, as well as replacing the hoses. I would definitely replace the oil lines with polyurethane hose, unless it's been converted to pre-mixed fuel. Another thing to look for on that engine is the crankcase drain which allows you to drain water from the crankcase in case it gets submerged. This is a cable with a knob, which is mounted on the exhaust pipe. These things are known to leak and you would be smart to remove it and install a block-off plate.

Have you pulled the spark plugs to see what they look like? Compression test?

No doubt the engine has been overhauled before, probably 2 or 3 times. 200 hours is about the expected life of piston rings on these things.

yes, I think it runs just fine the first 10 minutes or so. It runs strong throughout RPM range.

I don't think it sputters out or bogs down. It simply shuts off.

I might have to wait a bit to run it. Everything is frozen solid around here. Maybe I can run a "fake a lake" on it like they run on inboard boats?

Water or debris in fuel is certainly possible.

Yes, I'm sure going through carb and fuel pump would help. I can easily replace the lines. I've never heard of the crankcase drain. I can check that out, too.

I haven't pulled the plugs. I can do that. No, I don't have tools to perform a compression test. Maybe I can take it somewhere to have this done?

I don't think the engine has been overhauled. I will ask father in law.

thanks for you insight! Greatly appreciated.

CR

+1
    If it just shuts off, it could be something as simple as a loose battery cable or ground connection. The Kawasaki electrical plugs aren't very well sealed and water can get in, causing corrosion. You might pull them apart and inspect them.

+1
    Welcome to the forum. What you describe is the typical Kawi 750 bad stator. You can ohms test the stator cold, then again after it gets hot and quits and I'm betting the ohms are WAY off or excitor coil reading to ground. DO NOT buy an aftermarket stator, it will just cause you grief. Buy oem new or good used.

steve & myself:

thanks for the insight! I'm in the process of doing a few mod's to a Polaris Ranger, then a few things for lake cabin, then I will be bringing the Kawasaki back to garage to start working on it. The jet ski is "at the farm" and about two hours away in an old pole shed which is currently snowed in.

What about aesthetic changes to the machine? I can easily remove stickers, but how do I get rid of (or knock back) the purple and yellow?

I would consider myself decent at rehabbing/restoring stuff, but not a great mechanic….

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...foreman-s.html

thanks,

CR

+1
    I LIKE purple & yellow. In fact, my Yamaha Exciter boat is purple & yellow--with matching life jackets!

There are aftermarket seat covers that allow you to change the seat color. The rest you'll have to paint. The handlebar pads aren't available anymore.

Thread Information