Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
    +1

Cool June 2016 Bimini Trip: Gulf Coast Edition

Okay, so let's start the planning. June seems to be the time that most want to go. However, I guess we can't completely nail it down until we get a firm date for MudBug. Or do we even care about MudBug? Being that I have a non-traditional type of job, I can just tell 'em that I'm taking off whatever dates you guys decide on. Let's hear some suggestions!

Here is a list of those that I have heard from who will be going:

Firm list for 16-20 May:

4keeps & Gina
    Kenny & Michelle
    Lilman26 & (probably) the real Lilman
    Casey (flying)
    Lance
    DrivingZiggy
    KawaKing

Relatively firm for 16-20 May:

Axel
    Some friend of Billy's from NC

Want to come, but haven't firmed up:

Engelbert
    Vman
    Dart
    li'l dart & Stephanie

Tentative list:

Lightning1
    Lastmanswervin

Give me names and I will update as I get them. Chime in! Let's get a freakin' armada going across.

We will also need to start an equipment list.

1. PWC and everything that goes with it.
    2. Extra Fuel - When I did it my Yamaha FX HO took 13 gallons going and 13 gallons coming back. But you never know!
    3. WATER - You will be getting some serious exercise going across and may dehydrate.
    4. GPS - Several of us will have them, so if you don't have one don't sweat it.
    5. E.P.I.R.B.
    6. Off - I've heard that the Bimini Sands has done a lot to get rid of the gnats. But you may still need it.
    7. Sun screen and Solarcaine.
    8. Snorkeling gear.
    9. As many cameras as you can carry!
    10. If your PWC has a wide "tunnel" you should wear something that will cover your calves as they will get abraded.
    11. Athletic supporter. The best one you can get. Chafing can occur due to swangin'.
    12. Goggles. We will be in rough, salt water. You WILL get water in the face almost constantly. Sunglasses will not cut it. Some people might even prefer to add a paint ball face shield along with the goggles.
    13. Will update as you guys suggest.

Once we get there, your phone calls will be expensive. But they do have wi-fi.

The current itinerary would be to launch from south Florida on Monday morning. When I went last time, we left on a Wednesday morning and there was lots of parking. But we returned on a Sunday and the place was so packed that they had police directing traffic. I'm not sure we would be able to find a place to park if we want to leave on the weekend. I mean, it is Florida. And people like to get on the water during the weekend.

ITINERARY: Leave Florida on May 16th, return May 20th. That leaves the rest of Monday once we arrive to do some riding, snorkeling, etc., or (more likely!) recover from the rigors of the trip.

Looks like we're launching from Crandon Park Marina. We used Crandon Park on the trip I went on and it was fine. There's a machine for you to pay for as many days as you want to and it takes credit cards. It will probably cost ~$50 total for parking.

We'll be staying at the Bimini Sands. We have completely filled up the double condo already! So if you're not already on the "confirmed" list, you will be looking at getting another condo. But there is a lot of interest, so it shouldn't be hard to get a group of 5 to split the expenses. And the "first group" will be in 15-I and 15-J, so maybe you can try to get a unit close to that. I will continue to update, so it won't be so hard to keep track of who's interested in sharing the expenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline
    Just bring your clothes and food and you're set, unless you opt for island cooking which is served daily at the Petite Conch Restaurant located on site. Or, have the free bus take you to the south end of the island for a gourmet meal at Bimini Twist and Island Sushi. Mackey's Sandbar is attached.

I also called Bimini Sands to see about getting a slip. The lady said that usually that charge is usually $45 + 7.5% tax per day for a boat up to 40 feet. However, she also told me to call back tomorrow and speak to Donnie/Donovan who is the Dock Master and he might be able to arrange for us to get it for free with the condo. Maybe.

She also said that they have 93 octane fuel and if we call 3 weeks in advance, she may be able to arrange for customs and immigration to be there so we don't have to go to The Big Game Club and the police station down the road.

Who knows: we might even be able to make it back in time for MudBug!

So you guys make suggestions and comments and join the group. I will update this first post as needed.
    Last edited by DrivingZiggy; 02-17-2016 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Updates!

+1
    I am tentative and wife will not be joining as she is due for our second one in May. She wouldn't mind me going but I have a 90 day turnaround that I have to work and it is currently scheduled to start March 31. Was originally starting 2months earlier. I might be able to get away for a week while the turnaround is going on but cannot give an exact answer right now so mark me as tentative.

#8 is Curtis, s/n englebert. I'll call him and get him to check the thread since he doesn't get on here too often.

Honestly, I'd rather not join the group on FB planning to do it because too many ski's could make it tougher to cross as a large group. Easier to not notice someone fall behind with larger numbers, lengthy fill ups, more chance for a ski to breakdown.

A few questions I have...
    1. How many days would be spent in Bimini?
    2. Who's insurance covers international waters? I have SkiSafe and asked them if I am still covered on this trip and they said no, they do not offer coverage for that area. Only for US waters. Is there a place that offers insurance temporarily for Bimini?
    3. What type of gas is available in Bimini? 93? Only 87?

+1
    Bryan, Gena & I will not be able to go.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by swlamarshrunner View Post
    A few questions I have...
    1. How many days would be spent in Bimini?
    2. Who's insurance covers international waters? I have SkiSafe and asked them if I am still covered on this trip and they said no, they do not offer coverage for that area. Only for US waters. Is there a place that offers insurance temporarily for Bimini?
    3. What type of gas is available in Bimini? 93? Only 87?
    1. I think Billy would like to spend 5 or 6 days there. When I went before, we only stayed 3 days and it seemed like enough when I calculated in the drive: 2 days drive to Miami, 1 day ride to Bimini at which point you're probably exhausted and not really able to do anything for the rest of the day, 3 days to check out the Sapona shipwreck, beach, Road to Atlantis, mangrove swamp, and dine out at a couple of different places, ride back then drive home. That calculates out to a week total.

2. Read your policy. Mine doesn't say Bimini per se, but it says that I am covered to like 70 miles out. And that includes Bimini which is only 53 miles out.

3. I didn't pay close enough attention because my ski takes 87.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    Bryan, Gena & I will not be able to go.
    Make it work, Cliff! Who needs a damned job anyway?

+1
    Pencil myself and Lastmanswervin on the list. We have been talking about doing this trip for a few years now. We usually go ride in Naples once a year, but are game for a trip out there. I was going to try to put an aux tank on my rxpx since the tank is small, but we go camping off the skis, so we are used to loading up the skis for trips.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1 View Post
    Pencil myself and Lastmanswervin on the list.
    Done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1 View Post
    I was going to try to put an aux tank on my rxpx since the tank is small, but we go camping off the skis, so we are used to loading up the skis for trips.
    There are quite a few threads about adding an auxiliary tank and buying/building a rack to hold a tank/ice chest/etc. Here's the original: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=pwc+rack+pvc

+1
    Yeah, I have messed with a few, I would like to get a 10-15 gallon rectangle tank on my ski since the rxpx doesn't hold a ton of fuel, guess I have a few months to mess with it. When were you thinking of booking hotels, and how many of you guys have done this trip before? I have done a lot of reading, but we never gone.

+1
    As far as I know, I'm the only one on the list (so far) that has done it.

As for hotels and stuff, that's why I made this thread: so that we can hash things out. We have to decide if we want a hotel, or if we want Bimini Sands. We were at the Bimini Sands when I went. I was in the master suite, there were three beds in the loft upstairs where three of the guys slept and another slept on the couch. We could have put another person on the couch. My share was $225 for 3 nights. More than reasonable! So I tend to want that again. Besides, they have floating docks which work a lot better with our small craft. They also have a fuel dock--but they didn't have any fuel when we were there. They also have the customs person there, but also not while we were there. Restaurant on premises, pool, golf cart rental. Hoses at the docks so we can rinse our equipment after every outing. I guess it's easy to see which way I'm leaning, but we really need to hear from more folks who have made the trip--or ever been to The Bahamas by any other means--to hear about other accommodations and perqs that other locations may have to offer.

+1
    So I just went to Trip Advisor and checked out prices. I wanted to be clear that I paid the $225 for three days whereas the prices I can get on Trip Advisor are the same amount for only one day. Looks like Bimini Sands is a much better deal if you're willing to share the space. I know I am! Especially with anybody that I've met from here. That is one thing that has totally impressed the wife and I: the quality of people you meet through Green Hulk.

I'm sure we can reserve the private bedrooms for the married couples. Us bachelors/sea widowers can share a loft and/or other common areas. The couples may have to share their bathroom, though, as sometimes it's hectic when you're coming in from a day of getting salty and sandy and everybody needs to shower to go to dinner.

Oh, and Bimini Sands is all condos. So they all have kitchens so that we can prepare our own meals if we feel like it. I just never saw anything that looks like a supermarket there. Only the very small stores. But I'm sure we can find something if we ask the locals. But there are plenty of restaurants if we're more inclined to feast like that.

And that's another thing: The locals seem to always be in a fabulous mood! We could even hear the construction workers laughing and having a good time as they worked in the heat of the new structures. So I'm sure they would be happy to point us in the right direction.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information