Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

What makes a fast ski?

Apart from hull design how is speed gained on a PWC? Is it the more RPM you can pull or more HP?
    If my 310 had 400hp but still revs to 7500 my standard prop wouldn't spin any faster right so I would not go quicker? But with more HP I can spin a more aggressive pitch prop & move more water yeh?
    The Kawasaki seems to be the lowest revving PWC with Yamaha & Sea Doo running 8500rpm which gives them better speeds.

+1
    You can throw all the HP you want at a hull not designed for speed and it will not go as fast a hull designed for speed. No getting around it. Its the big compromise. People can say what they want, but Kawasaki focuses on rough water with good handling. Yamaha focuses on smooth water speed with good handling. Seadoo focuses on a hull that does everything pretty damn good.

3. +1 by:

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Agree until you said the Seadoo hull does everything pretty damn good.

The 300x will do 5+ MPH more than a Seadoo in rough water, where as the Seadoo is lucky to do 5 MPH faster in smooth water. Give me the 300x hull... that's the one that does EVERYTHING pretty damn good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post

The 300x will do 5+ MPH more than a Seadoo in rough water, where as the Seadoo is lucky to do 5 MPH faster in smooth water. Give me the 300x hull... that's the one that does EVERYTHING pretty damn good.

would you say the 310r hull is about the same as the 300x?

+1
    Yes, I believe it's exactly the same hull. There was some talk about internal structure changes, but I'm not sure. It feels the same on the water anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by digits87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post

would you say the 310r hull is about the same as the 300x?
    Was the 2011 300x hull not tweaked to tame twitch? I noticed my 15 310 has beefy bulge inside bow. I assume it stiffens bow because I could swear my 310 cuts through crud better than 260 which was superb.

Nice to hear from you TM Toys! Say hi to Jimmy and the lads down at the local!

8. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    They're layed with a chopper gun so every ski will have glass layed "different" from the same mould. Check the hook on the bottom. Those vary GREATLY and completely change the ride ski to ski

+1
    I bought the 310 because of the beefy hull compared to other brands. I like my wave jumping & it seems to take rather high vertical landings in it's stride. People said it's too heavy & would be no good but it suits me great.
    I asked the original question because I was thinking of doing work to the ski at some stage & was thinking should I focus on more HP or RPM range. I also read on a PWC media site that Kawasaki have a new engine waiting for release that might show it's face later this yr for the 2017 range. So with that I am not sure if I want to do work to this engine.
    Why can the Yamaha 1.8L rev to 8500 but no one likes taking a Kawa that far?

+1
    I've tried different Solas props. A 15/22 only got me to about 7600 but the 13/19 got to 8300 or there abouts. Guess what, they were both the same top speed. A 14/20 got me around 7900 and a tiny bit better than the others.

The only way you are going to go quicker really, is more HP or get as much of the hull out of the water as you can (but wreck the handling at the same time).

12. +1 by:

+1
    So if the 1.5L 310 has more HP than the 1.8L Yama it must have less torque than the 1.8L because the Yama can turn the same size prop faster as can the Sea Doo.
    Sorry if it all seems a silly question but I'm just trying to understand why Yamaha & Sea Doo can turn the same pitch prop faster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information