Les Cooke Retainers and Supertech Springs

Hey all,

Planning to run around 9000-9100rpm. I already have Les Cooke retainers, Need new valves and valve springs, guides, seals

Planning on buying Supertech Valves and Springs. Does anybody know if the Supertech valve springs work okay with the Les Cooke Retainers? My budget is not unlimited, so I would like to use what I have if possible.

I've been told that the Les Cooke Retainers are thicker than stock and put additional pressure on the Valve springs, so I'm not sure if this is a problem for the supertech Springs or not? My Stock springs are 2009 from a well used race ski.

Not a good idea to mix retainers that are designed to work with stock springs, sell the Less Cooke retainers and just get the matching set.

+1
    Les uses stock springs and lightened valves with his retainers, good for 9100rpm.

+1
    To answer your question I wouldn't mix after market Springs with Les Cooke retainers, either buy the supertec kit or lightened your standard valves as Les does.
    Give Les an email if you need further clarification. Lescooke@bigpond.net.au

+1
    As already mentioned, do not mix and match springs and retainers. The Les retainers are designed to work with the stock springs and are thicker which push down on the stock springs to create more tension. Do not use Les retainers with the supertech springs.

Okay, thanks very much for all the replies. I've contacted the Les cooke team and his colleague has advised that I need to run lightened valves if I want to push the limit beyond 8650rpm with his retainers, but he has said that customers of his have pushed to 8800rpm at there request with no drama's.

My stock springs have done 170hrs. My engine builder has said that this is basically nothing for these springs but others say they should be replaced every 100hours.

I have just purchased a set of custom valves (not lightened), made here in Aus as mine were stuffed so might just set the limiter at 8800rpm and leave it at that. There is also a riva retainer and spring set in the classifieds which I am thinking about.

Thread Information