Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but after much searching I have not found an answer. Does anyone know the size specifications of the drain plug bolt? Same issue here, head snapped off while torquing to 75lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wjbunton View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but after much searching I have not found an answer. Does anyone know the size specifications of the drain plug bolt? Same issue here, head snapped off while torquing to 75lbs.
    For those of you that have broken the plug, you do realize that the torque value is measured in inch lbs, not foot pounds, right?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wjbunton View Post

I don't mean to nitpick, but you're the worst at this research thing

the spec for most hardware bits are listed on the parts pages available here and at all big seadoo dealership website

and by necroing a old dead thread AS YOUR VERY FIRST POST, don't expect me to do it for you a second time for something that's actually hard to find out

and no, I don't have any tips for getting the broken drain plug out of your rideplate. It's likely that you'll have tyo end up abandoing the coolant change or replacing the ride plate. there's not alot of meat in that area for extractions

I'm tough, but fair, just like gunney.
    250500005 SOCKET DRAIN PLUG M6 X 12 1

+1
    I call BS on this resurrection. Nobody is gonna try to tighten that 5 mm to 75 ft lbs and not realize they have an issue well before it breaks. People are bored with not riding so they troll.

But it does keep things interesting over the winter.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I call BS on this resurrection. Nobody is gonna try to tighten that 5 mm to 75 ft lbs and not realize they have an issue well before it breaks. People are bored with not riding so they troll.

B
    IDK about that. There is a recent thread of some doofus torquing his injector rail bolts using ft lbs vs inch pounds.

Some people shouldn't work on their own skis.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    last words. the dude looking for the spec on the drain plug is the reason we're all here. we all know only a rank novice with a harbor freight tool set will break a 6mm bolt off when the removal force was nearly nothing

so rank, I likely shamed him into being relegated to lurking from now on.

folks if you gotta use a torque wrench for the easy stuff, heaven help you if you ever have to assemble something where correct torque wrench can be a engine killer

and of course, there's a story to go with that. as a consolation prize to everybody subscribed to this thread

My VERY first mechanics job was at Carl's Honda, the Brooklyn motorcycle dealership that was famously stripped bare during the looting that followed 1977 blackout in NYC. Over 150k worth of stuff walked out after the gates were ripped off the front of the store

Being a young buck, I tired to impress the shop foreman, an aged eye-talian guy ( yeah, his name was joe a classic stereotypical pasta bender that spit old vespa scooters out from between his teeth while eating meatballs.) by asking to borrow his torque wrench while putting the wheels on a CB750

He laughed and said..you want-a what?..Let me show you how tight-a you have to make it. He grabbed my hand and nearly twisted it off my arm. That-a tight, Pete, until your hand hurts like that. Now go finish up those bikes and never ask me for that tool again. I learned a lot of valuable lessons during the three years I worked there. Luckily, he treated me like family. I didn't dare try to borrow so much as a crusty pair of vise grips from him after that.

in a moment of nostalgia I looked into it. The old dealership building is now gone and there is a lawn there, the old shop driveway survived somehow

Found this ad in a 1975 issue of cycle world, I'll never forget the first time I fired up a CB750. Dayum- or that old toothless Jamaican Mechanic, Alvin who taught me how to get bikes out of the crate and prep them up for sale, he always blasted Hotel California when it came on the radio and pulled a small screw top bottle of wine from his toolbox to take a couple of swigs during the song. Yup good times

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carls.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	455187  

Quote Originally Posted by Cathylongasta View Post
    Not sure if these PWC engines have a metallic coolant pump. But someone I know didn't replace his coolant for 5 years and when he replaced the pump, all the fin ends were eroded. The aluminum internal looked perfect though...
    Fins and pump is plastic ...

+1
    Great story Pete. I remember the blackout. Being from Ct. I am only 60 min from the City. Yes people around here refer to it as "the City"

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post

B
    He didn't say ft/lbs. Just 75 lbs, could have been in/lbs. No way your gonna get close to 75 ft/lbs on a 6mm Allen head bolt.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information