Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Fogging Necessary?

I have a 2015 VXR and store it in my semi-heated garage. The temperature ranges from 45-60 through the winter. My thoughts are not to fog it and just start it up once a month. It will be laid up for 5 months.

What is everyone's take on fogging? I have never understood it myself. I have never once thought to fog my Mustang for the winter or my pressure washer, etc. Why are jet skis/boats different?

+1
    I store in the same conditions you are and I dont fog because I start my skis 1-2 times per month as well.

Do you just start them briefly or do you run them to operating temperature on a hose?

+1
    Start them for about 30 seconds in the garage with our large 42" ground fan pulling air out of the garage because cranking 4 skis makes the fumes unbearable after the first one running for 30 seconds.

AFAIK skis are not to be left on for more tha 10-15 secs with out a proper water supply. Unless they have a radiator

+1
    I don't fog my 4 stroke, only the 2 strokes, mainly to get a good coating on the crankshaft & rod bearings, not an issue with the 4 stroke. Some will say you should to get a coating on the cylinder walls, but I have never fogged my old cars that sit all winter either. If you do I would do it through the spark plug holes, it may be possible to damage sensors in the air intake depending on the brand of ski. I know you should not spray anything in the intake of newer vehicles for this reason.

+1
    I do the same. I'll add Sta-Bil, run them about 30 seconds wait a few minutes and do it twice maybe three times every 2-3 weeks. I'll spray the pump,grate,trailer and tires(Triton aluminum)with silicone. Then sit back and pout until I can ride again. I bought a wetsuit so I'm riding much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by jwaked View Post
    AFAIK skis are not to be left on for more tha 10-15 secs with out a proper water supply. Unless they have a radiator
    You can run these thing for a minute or so with no hose it's not going to damage anything. We have been doing it for years, it's not gonna get that hot that quick at idle.

I do mine every 2 weeks and use timer on my phone set for 60 seconds

+1
    I fog my '09 FZR and '07 FX HO each fall when I winterize. I do not start them at all during the winter. More than one way to skin a cat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information