Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Antifreeze for winterizing 15 FX SVHO

Hi All,
    Just got my new ski this season, never used anti freeze to winterize old skis.Decided to use it on the FXSVHO for precautionary measures even though it's open loop and I blew it out thoroughly after final flush. I used regular green concentrate antifreeze. After reading up I realized that there is a marine/rv type. Aside from the environmental difference, (I WILL REMOVE WITH CAUTION) is the green safe for the ski?
    Ps, anyone have a tip for retrieving a small screwdriver from the middle of the hull? Lol

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Just use the RV antifreeze. It boggles my mind how people can be so careless to use automotive antifreeze. Besides, the RV stuff is a lot cheaper. As far as i know if the boat is stock there is no need for antifreeze. It will all just drain out on the ground as the cooling systems are self draining.

+1
    For the screwdriver, there are high quality articulating magnetic pickup tools that can do amazing things. I fought for an hour last weekend trying to pull a bolt out to no avail with a cheap one, then a friend used a high quality (maybe $10) unit and had it out in seconds.

I'd avoid antifreeze unless you have mods that prevent the unit from self draining. I let mine sit outside last weekend for a couple hours with the trailer tongue on my truck tailgate so there was some extra incline and I took the drain plugs out of the hull, too. I'm a big fan of fogging the cylinders though, as at least here in Indiana the temp swings cause a lot of condensation inside the hull, and I have no idea if that's happening in the cylinders. I take the intake hose off the throttle body and start the ski, then spray some SeaFoam into the throttle body, first slowly, then a little more and let it shut itself off. Put the hose back on, roll it in the garage, plug in the trickle charger, and not so patiently wait for spring!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfi1 View Post
    fogging the cylinders ... I take the intake hose off the throttle body and start the ski, then spray some SeaFoam into the throttle body ...
    Seafoam? Is there a Seafoam branded fogging oil?

The Seafoam products I am aware of are mostly solvents and cleaning agents, not sticky protective oil coatings.

I often find the Seafoam provided information can be misleading, upon careful rereading the product may not be what you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafoam
    Sea Foam Spray is designed to deliver a high concentration of petroleum cleaning solvency into areas where gasoline fuel additives cannot reach.

Sea Foam Spray works to clean carbon deposits, sticky gum and varnish residues from intake systems, intake valves, pistons and combustion chambers.

Sea Foam Spray cleans and lubricates throttle plates, bushings, and upper cylinders.

When fogging gasoline engines for storage, Sea Foam Spray helps clean, lubricate and protect internal engine parts from getting dried out and corroded.
    For lubricating cylinders and pistons for STORAGE, after intake fogging spray Sea Foam Spray into spark plug cavities.
    Just seems weird to use a product that is primarily solvent based in an engine storage application. Especially in a modern/new 4-stroke engine that is unlikely to have much in the way of varnish or combustion deposit accumulation.

I recently encountered a motorcycle owner that was careful to add stabilizer to his gasoline tank just before putting it into storage. I asked if he avoided ethanol blended gasoline, he said he was always careful to buy non-ethanol gasoline.

I had a look at the ingredients label on the 'fuel stabilizer' product he was using. It was just methanol in a little bottle, not actually a fuel stabilizer. So he was actually adding alcohol to his non-alcohol blended gasoline
    Last edited by K447; 10-19-2015 at 10:04 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    Just use the RV antifreeze. It boggles my mind how people can be so careless to use automotive antifreeze. Besides, the RV stuff is a lot cheaper. As far as i know if the boat is stock there is no need for antifreeze. It will all just drain out on the ground as the cooling systems are self draining.
    Mr. Matrix,
    Thanks for the rude reply, sorry I boggled you pea sized mind. Next time try answering the question and reading the details.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfi1 View Post
    For the screwdriver, there are high quality articulating magnetic pickup tools that can do amazing things. I fought for an hour last weekend trying to pull a bolt out to no avail with a cheap one, then a friend used a high quality (maybe $10) unit and had it out in seconds.

I'd avoid antifreeze unless you have mods that prevent the unit from self draining. I let mine sit outside last weekend for a couple hours with the trailer tongue on my truck tailgate so there was some extra incline and I took the drain plugs out of the hull, too. I'm a big fan of fogging the cylinders though, as at least here in Indiana the temp swings cause a lot of condensation inside the hull, and I have no idea if that's happening in the cylinders. I take the intake hose off the throttle body and start the ski, then spray some SeaFoam into the throttle body, first slowly, then a little more and let it shut itself off. Put the hose back on, roll it in the garage, plug in the trickle charger, and not so patiently wait for spring!
    Thanks, just ordered one!!

+1
    So essentially, there should be no water in a PWC's waterbox after trailering it and pulling it up the ramp?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    So essentially, there should be no water in a PWC's waterbox after trailering it and pulling it up the ramp?

A little bit of water in the waterbox freezing hurts nothing. Thats why you blow out the exhaust after you are done riding.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steeevo66 View Post
    Mr. Matrix,
    Thanks for the rude reply, sorry I boggled you pea sized mind. Next time try answering the question and reading the details.

Im sorry, it just drives me crazy when I see people talk about using automotive antifreeze in an application thats its not meant for. That stuff is deadly toxic and doesnt belong in our skis, unless its a closed loop cooling system.

It will not hurt anything in the cooling system, but like others have said if you don't have mods that may not self drain, antifreeze is not necessary.

+1
    Thanks, like I said I wasn't aware of the rv/ marine antifreeze until after I had completed the winterization, so at this point as long as it won't damage the ski it is best left alone. Otherwise I have to re winterized the rest of the ski. Yes my ski is tilted all the way back and it is dripping out, so I will need to be careful of the cleanup as best as possible and also keep my dogs out of the yard until I get rid of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information