Thread: LR-503 repair?

+1

LR-503 repair?

Has anyone opened up a LR-503 to see if it can be repaired or are they just a block of hard plastic? It seems the circuitry should be easy to reproduce I'm just not sure what kind of electrical signal the tach lead carries.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Somewhere on here there are photos of a couple of LR modules that have been opened up. The epoxy sealant can be picked at and removed in little chunks.

The internal circuitry is not all that complex, once you understand how the thing does what it does.

The Yellow stator wire is part of the battery charging circuit. The voltage regulator function rectifies the current flowing through the Yellow wire to/from ground. It also limits the charging current through Yellow in order to regulate the DC voltage level at the battery.

It is a half wave rectifier so the waveform on Yellow is a funky shape with an underlying DC bias voltage (since the other end of the charging coil is connected to the battery).

The tachometer simply monitors the funky AC waveform on Yellow and extracts the Hz. Multiply the Hz by ten and that engine RPM.

The LR module also monitors Yellow to determine when the engine is rotating (cranking or running). It then switches battery power onto the Orange wire, thereby powering up the Bilge pump and (on 2000+ models) also power up the CDI.

If the LR module is also a Start/Stop type (LR-505 and LR-503) then it also uses Yellow signal to determine whether the handlebar Start/Stop button is going to crank the engine or shut the CDI down (single button for both functions).

+1
    Mine is on a 2002 Genesis I. Everything works except start/ stop button will not shut it down. As that is the only problem I will just live with it but I assume it will develop more problems down the road. At that point I will probably try to find a way to fix it. Of course I still need to check and see if the wire is broken that shuts down the engine.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I wouldnt ride it with a non functioning stop switch. Does pulling the lanyard stop the engine?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mockingee View Post
    Mine is on a 2002 Genesis I. Everything works except start/ stop button will not shut it down. As that is the only problem I will just live with it but I assume it will develop more problems down the road. At that point I will probably try to find a way to fix it. Of course I still need to check and see if the wire is broken that shuts down the engine.
    Check the wiring and connections. If all is correct then replace the LR module.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    I wouldnt ride it with a non functioning stop switch. Does pulling the lanyard stop the engine?
    Yes I forgot to mention, the lanyard shuts it down.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Check the wiring and connections. If all is correct then replace the LR module.
    I will check all the wires and connections but replacing the module doesn't seem to be an option. Short of paying big bucks to buy a used one from EBay that will probably soon fail anyway they seem to be unavailable. That's why I want to fix mine or build a substitute.

+1
    I have an LR-505, I am unsure if this would work on your machine though, some one else would know better.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    I have an LR-505, I am unsure if this would work on your machine though, some one else would know better.
    Thanks for the offer. I don't know what the difference is but I know there is one. Fortunately I believe I found one from another member.

+1

Arrow Differences between LR-503 and LR-505 Start/Stop LR modules (Virage, Genesis)

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    Thanks for the offer. I don't know what the difference is but I know there is one...
    Going from memory;

LR-505 (several revision suffixes)
    Only used on carburetor engines, Polaris Virage and Genesis 2000-2004 models, also Freedom?
    Incorporates voltage regulator for battery charging control, via Yellow stator wire
    Provides Orange wire switched battery voltage output (accessory, CDI power) when engine is rotating, via stator Yellow wire AC detection
    Controls starter solenoid
    Monitors Black/Yellow for special signal voltage from CDI indicating the engine is running.
    Grounds Black/Yellow wire to shut down EMM ignition when Stop is pressed

LR-503 (several revision suffixes)
    Only used on Ficht fuel injected models, 2000-2004 Virage and Genesis only
    Does NOT control battery charging, EMM provides battery charging
    Monitors Yellow wire signal from EMM to detect engine rotation/cranking
    Provides Orange wire switched battery voltage output (accessory, CDI power) when engine is rotating
    Controls starter solenoid
    Does not monitor Black/Yellow for signal voltage
    Grounds Black/Yellow wire to EMM to shut down ignition when Stop is pressed

1999 Genesis only
    Factory configuration had separate LR-502 for Start/Stop control, LR-31 for voltage regulator and Orange wire output (carburetor engine)
    LR-502, LR-31 combo can be replaced with integrated LR-505 Start/Stop module
    Two electrical boxes on carburetor Genesis, LR module and CDI are in separate boxes.

Thread Information