Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fault p0563?

+1

fault p0563?

07 RXT

Got this code today and plugging in my Candoo reports it as 12v high (above 16v). I checked the min/max section and the actual recorded voltage was 17.1v. I just finished upgrading my stock fuel pump to a Walbro due to a recent drop in pressure, that I believe was more contributed to dirty filters and a suspicious dry cracking of a seal on the slidding tube. I figured while I was in there I'd upgrade the pump just to be sure it's not also a contributing factor. New filters, replaced slidding tube, new Walbro pump. First test ride I get this code. My intent was to also add a relay for the additional amp draw of the Walbro but figured I'd do that once it goes into my garage soon for winter storage. So my question is can the additional amp draw of the Walbro trigger this? I'd not see how but makes me wonder if the ECU communicates with the regulator in any way to bump the voltage output when an excess draw exists? The code only came up when I broke 8600rpms...anything below that and it's never seen. It's the only thing I touched so it has to be that but wondering if anyone can confirm it.

+1
    The stator will put out more voltage with RPM and its the job of the regulator to control.

+1
    right..and rectifier converts AC to DC. I just kind of fail to believe my regulator took a dump right as I'm testing this new pump? Seems like odd coincidence to me that I've never received this code and have been breaking 8600rpms 2 years now...install new pump and it comes up...kind of strange.

+1
    then I do a search on this code and find others opted to replace the rectifier/regulator and they were still getting the code.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=218754&p=2427510&viewfull=1#post2 427510
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1979574

+1
    It is possible that the extra draw from the pump is making the regulator work out of its parameters. Try the the Relay its cheep and easy.

+1
    and that's just what I was wondering if that's possible, not sure I see how but since it's all I've changed it has to be. Going to put the relay in regardless I just wanted to see if this was seen by anyone...call me impatient.

+1
    Looky looky what I found in a box a goodies. My only problem with it is it's not a waterproof housing...maybe I'll shrink wrap the whole damn thing I looked over the wiring schematic and I'm not sure how any fuel pump draw could possibly do this. The 3 yellow wires from stator transfer ac current to the rectifier directly. Then out the regulator is a red and black. Black is just ground and red goes to 30a at the fuse box and then onto the starter solenoid. The ecu must be taking it's voltage measurement at the solenoid, or that fuse box2 where it's also tied. Now I'm no electronics guru by any means, I can wire that's bout it and have basic understanding. So I'm going to shoot my guess off to see how this sounds. From what I see since the pump is drawing it's amperage from the ecu the ecu is pulling more in itself than before. The regulator must have a design for it's output that basically has a margin of draw + charging current to provide in order to avoid battery discharge. It's then trying to keep up with the demand but then the ecu says "shit you went over 16v I'm throwing a code". The ecu does not have regard to know that it's demand is pushing this to happen. Course the obvious is to do the relay and see if it goes away..which I will. Just trying to make sense of it. Seems to me this could burn out a regulator if left.

If that pump is mucking with anything it must be doing so inside the ecu but why that fault code? Isn't the norm code seen with this issue something like P0231?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-09-24 22.41.02.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	371989

+1
    I agree with you summary down stream load should have no affect on the regulated output.
    Spec from the manual.
    Rectifier/Regulator
    The rectifier receives AC current from the magneto
    and transforms it into direct current (DC).
    The regulator, included in the same unit, limits
    voltage at a maximum level (14.5 to 14.8 volts) to
    prevent any damage to electrical components.

+1
    Well I'm gearing up to install this relay to see if that takes care of it. Now I'm not exactly sure what's the best method to wire it. I have the Riva/Aeromotive install instructions and that seems straight forward but the problem is they do not show you the pinout from the relay and have no reason to do so as it comes prewired. Unless anyone cares to upload a pic of theirs? I also have 2 jpg's I acquired from other threads.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11209580_10207781377443201_4103028626384160151_n.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	372012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FuelPumpWiring.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	372013
    I'd rather not add a secondary fuse but what I do not get in these jpg's is that it looks like the fuel pump wiring is completely separated from the ecu now, vs. tapped in as Riva shows it. The only pinout I see now going to the ecu is 85 and I assume this cycles on the relay then pump draw directly off the battery. Doesn't the ecu need to see some current draw or it throws a fault code? I'm not sure how that wiring is going to show any draw at the ecu...but as I said I'm no electronics guru either so maybe I'm missing how it works.

Which method is is better?

+1
    Pin 86 goes through a coil 85 to ground to pull the relay shut so the ecu reads that as the pump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RelayWiringGuide.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	372017  

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information