Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Anybody near Havasu willing to let me rent a ski?

Hi, guys. This is just wishful thinking at this point, but I'm considering racing in the MH300 in Feb. I'm not 100 percent sure I will, but if I can get all I would need to compete in it, I'd definitely love to give it a shot. I figured the first thing I'd need to do is get a ski. I don't think I could rent a ski from a dealer because of my age, would anybody in the Havasu area be interested in letting me rent a ski for the event? Of course, a Kawi would be my "weapon of choice," but honestly, I don't care what brand it is. I'll race anything. lol. This may be a dumb idea, but it certainly won't happen if I don't make an attempt to get there.

Also, would anybody be willing to help me out with what all I'd need to compete in this race? Thanks!

+1
    Don't you have a ski of your own?

Not it sure anyone would just let someone borrow a ski to "race"

+1
    LOL, exactly what I was thinking.

4. +1 by:

+1
    I do, but I'm not crazy about towing a ski and a double ski trailer across the country. I'm also not wanting to ship one over there, so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask if I could just rent one already over there for the race. It's just an idea, if it doesn't pan out, I'll just not race in it and stick to racing a little closer to home.

+1
    Why are you not crazy about towing a trailer across country? I have towed from coast to coast.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Why are you not crazy about towing a trailer across country? I have towed from coast to coast.
    I just got my license 5 months ago and have nothing but an accord to tow it with. lol. I'm sure it would be a great trip, but I'd rather get more experience driving with the trailer behind me before going from AL to AZ.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DH300 View Post
    I just got my license 5 months ago and have nothing but an accord to tow it with. lol. I'm sure it would be a great trip, but I'd rather get more experience driving with the trailer behind me before going from AL to AZ.
    Age thing maybe, just think of the stories you would have to tell your friends at school. The Accord thing, yea you need something bigger. You get out West and that Honda would be sucking eggs.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Age thing maybe, just think of the stories you would have to tell your friends at school. The Accord thing, yea you need something bigger. You get out West and that Honda would be sucking eggs.
    yeah, it would make for some great stories.
    I'm not sure the Accord would even be able to pull the skis, especially up a boat ramp. That would be embarrassing to not be able to get up the ramp.

12. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I'm not sure the Accord would even be able to pull the skis, especially up a boat ramp. That would be embarrassing to not be able to get up the ramp.
    There are lots of personal watercraft regularly towed and launched using front wheel drive vehicles.

Towing a single trailer over long distances should not be a problem as long as the car has a tow rating of 1000 pounds.

Slippery ramps can be tricky if the car tires are poorly chosen. Tires rated for high wet grip (rain tires) should work well enough.

I used a car for several years to tow a double Triton trailer with two three seat watercraft, spare tire, trailer box, etc. Total trailer weight about 2000 pounds. The tow car was a front wheel drive Malibu Maxx. Rarely an issue, even on slippery ramps a little steering left and right generally was enough to get moving uphill.

The only trailer related upgrade to that car was the addition of AirLift 1000 air bags inside the rear coil springs. Simple to install and not expensive kit. With the air bags inflated the car towed level even when packed full of 'stuff' for long trips.

Learn and refine your driving skills. Keep improving yourself. Towing a trailer is just another skill to add to your collection.
    Last edited by K447; 09-15-2015 at 11:02 PM.

14. +1 by:

+1
    Get in touch with Craig Warner, he lives near Atlanta now but he always goes out for that race and usually has skis to rent.. You could try Macc Racing, Chris and Rachel and great friends and they might know someone who would rent one...Or try finding Aero Aswar, I think he has a warehouse out there full of skis to use when he comes from Indonesia..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information