Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Aluminum Solas Impeller Nose Seal

I'm trying another Solas impeller setup on my STX15f. I bought a new 14/20 that I'll probably repitch to 13/20. Unfortunately it came with the aluminum nose seals which I have heard so many people had issues with them sliding up the shaft.

Did anyone ever find a definitive cure for this? I was thinking the end all would be using epoxy to hold it together, but don't want to go to this end if it can be avoided.

I'd like to hear how people have coped with this issue. Glue, larger orings, shaft locking ring, other brand impeller seals etc?

Please share your thoughts and experience

Thanks!

+1
    Use the Solas rubber seal SL009. You don't want to spend an hour or more of your time trying to fish it out when it crawls up to the plastic seal in the hull. I think the only way to keep that seal in place is if there was a small groove for a snap ring in front of it.

I tore the pump down last night in anticipation of the impeller but didn't realize that it would be shipping with an aluminum nose seal. Right now it is all I have and need to be back on the water by Saturday. From everything I've read it would be a bad idea to install the aluminum seal.

I was thinking of threading the nose seal with a set screw or getting a locking ring much like this to keep it in place. Both the Polaris Skat-Trak impellers I have use a big fat O-ring in place of the rubber cone seal. Maybe I will do that instead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80599.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	369888
    Last edited by CR250Greg; 08-31-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Name:	7205.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	348.4 KB 
ID:	369891

Picture of an SLA016 Yamaha seal from the FZR/SHO Wondering why set screws aren't included on the Kawi seals.

+1
    That's a great idea, you just have to be able to reach through the intake grate to tighten them. You would be better off with no nose cone as to using one that will ride up the shaft. I could tell when the nose cone rode up the shaft, I had a lot of cavitation on the hole shot & lost about 3/4 of a mph. The heavy Oring that Polaris uses might at least reduce some of that cavitation.

+1
    skat trak impellers come with a metal nose cone with a O ring and 3 tiny Allen screws to bit down on the driveshaft and not move,I got one on my twin prop..

+1
    Twin prop you say eh ?

+1
    Also interested in this , will be installing my solas soon. Can't use a small touch of permatex or something like that to hold it on? Not sure how loose they are I don't have any experience with loose end caps, only deal with tight ones

I was also considering using Permatex Sleeve Retainer, or Ultra Grey RTV. The sleeve retainer is basically seizing compound for sleeves and bearings.

Name:	91cvKlWnSIL__SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	369909

+1
    Spinning 7-8000 rpms with water pressure I doubt any adhesive would hold,Most guys including myself like the rubber nose boot they seem to stay on the longest..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information