2000 SLX Accel pump and/or jets

Just picked up a 2000 SLX and after rebuilding the carbs it runs great with the exception of the accel pump not working properly. Of course the kits are no longer available. I have been told to just increase the low jet but not sure where which jet it has now so I know what size to go to.

Does anyone have suggestions on either the accel kit or what jets to go to?

Thanks in advance,

Anyone know what size the pilot (or idle) jets are on a 2000 SLX 1200?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I think the pilots are 65s. Did you open the accel pump and have a look? Sometimes it just needs to be primed.

Actually after my last post I found them on one of the carb part catalog sheets. The low is 42, mid is 70 and the high ranges from 135-142 depending on cylinder.

Yes I have opened up the pump (several times LOL) and made sure everything is clean, the ball valve moves, spring is free and the diaphragm moves.

I cannot determine if the diaphragm has a hole pin hole or not.

As for priming, I did manually push the actuator many times with no luck. Should I put fuel in the cover and then close it up? Is there a better way to get fuel into the pump manually?

Well I tried priming first by moving the plunger which did not work. Next pulled a vacuum through the lines fed by the pump and could not get fuel to come through.

Any other suggestions?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    With the engine running take a flat blade screwdriver or a butter knife and depress the plunger on the acc pump all the way down. It should prime that way.

Thanks Mr.

I found the problem. Even though the diaphragm looked good while installed, when I finally pulled it out last night I held it up to the light and your could see light through the fine cloth/nylon mesh that holds the rubber portion together. I took the plunger from my SLTX carbs and got it to work. Only thing I forgot to check is the shaft length on the plunger. I think I read where the earlier versions were slightly shorter than the 1999 and up version so I may have to address that.

It seems like you should be able to get a piece of rubber to replace the old diaphragm rubber. Worth a shot anyway.

Well had a chance to take the SLX out this weekend to see if the accelerator pump was fixed and I can definitely say YES. This thing will scream.

Thread Information