1994 wave venture 701 electrical issue?

Had ski out yesterday, ran about 5 or 10 miles up river. Ran great with no problems. Stopped 4 or 5 times along the way. Stopped one last time to talk with neighbors, went to restar and got nothing. No click or anything.

I pulled the connector with red and white wires zand get continuity when start button is pressed. Measured 12+ volts on red wire. Pulled connector with white and black wire and get continuity with lanyard post or stop button.

Checked fuse, it is good.

My thought is starter relay. Have to pull ebox apart to jump and havent had time yet, any other ideas? The starter relay doesnt click or anything when switch is pressed.

Thanks for looking, not much summer left so I really want to get back running.

+1
    Lots of times that starter relay will fail in the older skis, I have replaced it in each of my skis. I'd start there

Been a lot busier than I wanted too. Hoping to get out and try jumping the relay this weekend.

Thanks

+1

Thumbs up

Test the small brown wire at the starter relay with a volt meter and the black lead off the meter hooked to the -- terminal on the battery and see if you get 12V when you press the starter button with the lanyard installed in the switch if you get 12V everytime you push the start button replace the starter relay its bad, Tommy Jordan

Okay, I finally got time to mess with the ski today. Pulled it from the water, checked the brown wire and I get 12 volts every time switch is pressed. I jumped the 2 large post and ski started right up. I bought new solenoid switch and have the same problem. Checked continuity between the screw the black wire attaches to and the negative cable and read an open circuit. Used a piece of wire to jump from negative post to ground screw in electrical box and ski fires and idles perfectly. Sounds like a broken ground wire. Is the main ground in the electrical box the black wire with the connector on it. I see several black wires, just trying to identify the most likely culprit.

Thanks again,
    Richard

I did some reading and it sounds like losing a ground to the ebox is not uncommon. I spliced into the black wire from the magneto and ran a wire to engine ground. That seems to have done the trick. Starts right up now. Is there a problem doing this?

Thread Information