+1

2003 MSX140 w/dead center cylinder---Cost to Repair?

There's a 2003 MSX140 with a "burnt down middle cylinder" for sale for $600. No mention of hours or anything else other than color. Is it worth purchasing and repairing? What kind of repair costs could I expect? I'm a car nut and have a very well equipped shop and the common sense, just lacking on model specific knowledge---though I learned more than a few things on the forum I never knew, such as pressure testing a case during re-assembly.

+1
    I picked up the same ski for about the same amount. Burned down the rear cylinder on mine. Unfortunately, the broken piston busted out the cases and trashed the rod on the crank. So I had to get an entire new used lower end (cases and crank = $$$)... so my rebuild got a lot more expensive. Another item to consider... you will likely need to have the EMM (brain) repaired to the tune of about $400-500.

I ended up having right around $2k in mine when said and done with a repaired EMM. It would have been under $1500 if I hadn't had to buy the new used lower end. Some of the MSX 140 parts are unique to that ski (2003 and 2004 MSX 140 only) (cylinders, cases)... and are pricey when buying used.

If in decent shape otherwise... it's still a good entry point cost wise to end up with a sweet ski. I would get it.

Cheers!

+1
    martincom,

Did you get that ski?

I told the guy I wanted it but someone else was inline infront of me and that person got it.
    JJ

+1
    No, it wasn't me. I needed to get a feel for what I'd be getting into first. If I had another one, I would have purchased it regardless, if it wasn't cost effective to repair, at $600 it would have been worth it in parts. However, as I don't have any and space to store it, I wasn't to anxious to leap. I did score a 2004 Virage I with a bad EMM for $400 yesterday. It was in a wreck a few years ago, so the hull has more than the typical dock rash. The seat was good and I need one, so I figure I've darn near recovered half of what I paid for it already. Did a compression check on the engine and both cylinders are good. I have a 2003 Virage I also picked for parts earlier this year. It also has a bad EMM. It needs some other things, but now with the 2004 as a donor machine, I should have pretty much everything I need short of an EMM rebuild.

+1
    Think I saw that one up there also but I do not have any two cylinder DI skis. Good buy.
    Good Luck with your stuff.
    JJ

+1
    You know JJ, we have borders for a reason. Its to keep you cheesehead pirates in your own backyard. Its bad enough you humiliate us on the grid iron......

+1
    martincom,

No Worries.

The next one I see I will just PM you to go picked it up for me.

JJ

+1
    JJ,

You'd sure fit into my circle of friends......you sound just like the rest of them.

Thread Information