+1

Not new here but got a new Polaris. ..

Hi everyone, thought I would post up about my newest acquisition, a 2000 Virage with the 700 single carb engine. I won't go into a lengthy tale of how I got it, but it did come from a friend who is also a forum member.

I bought it knowing it needed some engine repairs, at the bare minimum a new mag piston. It was chewed up around the edges. My past experiences told me to also prepare for the worst, and after this morning, I can confirm it does indeed need a crankshaft. The mag lower rod bearing on the crank failed and seized.

The mfd on the ski also needs some work as it can barely be read. The speedo is also stuck pegged at 80 MPhil for some odd reason. I'm hoping it isn't too big a deal to fix, it's otherwise pretty clean.

The pump is like new, no rust of any kind and the bearings are perfect along with the impellor and wear ring.

I have seen on other websites that the 700 seems to have a problem losing that mag lower rod bearing like mine did. So, can we brainstorm a bit to get some ideas as to why so when I put it back together and fix it, it doesn't happen again?
    When I pulled off the exhaust, there was an oil film in that exhaust port and there was a small oil puddle in the bottom of the crankcase for that cylinder, so it was getting oil.

I have a seadoo I can ride so this will be a fall/winter project. Used to have an slt750 project but I sold it for the virage. So I'm not a total noob on these things.

Thanks!
    Kevin

+1
    Does it look like this? ~Make sure it gets pressure checked before dropping the engine back in.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Dang that looks EXACTLY like it! Pressure check is for sure on the list. I pulled the leaking oil tank out today since it is way easier with no engine in the hull, now off to do some research on fixing it so I can reinstall it before the engine!

+1
    I would bet the Oil sending unit is leaking. I used an o-ring and hose clamp to fix mine.

JJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil tank.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	368930  

6. +1 by:

+1
    Yup that's what it is, the sending unit just falls right out. Gonna clean it, dry it out good, RTV and clamp it.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinz View Post
    Yup that's what it is, the sending unit just falls right out. Gonna clean it, dry it out good, RTV and clamp it.
    The thin o-ring that is OEM for the domestic engine oil pump seal to the flywheel housing also works well to seal the Virage/Genesis oil sender cap plug. I put the o-ring between the first and second ribs down from the top of the sender plug, then work the o-ring into the neck of the oil tank as I seat the sender. Then use a thin band stainless steel gear clamp to slightly compress the tank neck around the sender.

I prefer not to introduce sealant into places where it might contaminate the oil or perhaps clog the small OEM oil filter, should some of the sealant material work loose over time.

9. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I have tried the rtv route. Didnt work. Nothing sticks well to the oil tank. If the virage oil tank is the same as the msx tank i just put a hose clamp on it and tightened it down good. No more leak.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinz View Post
    The thin o-ring that is OEM for the domestic engine oil pump seal to the flywheel housing also works well to seal the Virage/Genesis oil sender cap plug. I put the o-ring between the first and second ribs down from the top of the sender plug, then work the o-ring into the neck of the oil tank as I seat the sender. Then use a thin band stainless steel gear clamp to slightly compress the tank neck around the sender.

I prefer not to introduce sealant into places where it might contaminate the oil or perhaps clog the small OEM oil filter, should some of the sealant material work loose over time.
    Good call, did not think of that with the RTV over time

Thread Information