97 GTI surprised how well it pulls

I've finally got my pump issues dealt with. My son and I wanted to try wakeboarding but didn't know if the 720 would cut it. We had a full tank, 2 adults @ +200 lbs, myself 170 lbs behind wakeboarding. The GTI had no problem popping me out of the water. The motor was excellent going 17 - 20 MPH & sipped fuel too. My son who's 220 lbs took maybe a second or two longer to pop out of the water. I felt him tugging behind but was not a problem to adjust to. I have read that Seadoo marketed the 720 GTI as the ultimate tow vehicle. Is this advertising or does the 720 indeed have a powerband well suited to towing?

+1
    What's makes the 97-99 model years of the GTI a top choice for towing is the lack of exhaust power valves and water regulator valves on the resonators like what you'd find in a 787 based ski, there's no transition in the exhaust port where the rpm's kick in and go at whatever point the adjuster caps are set to open and close the valves and there's no dead spot in the throttle from a worn or damaged bellows in a water control valve.

15-20 years later with average use and maintenance the 717/720 based ski's have simply held up to the test of time a little better and are more economical from simple maintenance to a complete repower when the time comes to spend $$ to make them right.

The 717 makes smooth power all the way through the entire range of operation if the motor is healthy and everything is in tune, fantastic ski you have there I ride a '98 and love the thing.

We always steered customer's toward the 717 powered models of boats and ski's when we knew they pulled skier's, more often than not the sweet spot for towing in the throttle of a 787 was right smack in the middle of the operating rpm's of the rave valves and there's not much can be done about it.

Thank you for such an informative answer. The forum community are lucky to have such a knowledgeable and helpful individual to assist them.

One upgrade I've considered is replacing my small hub pump with a large hub pump used in the 2000 GTI's. I have read up and understand the advantages of the larger hub but what I found very interesting is the changes to the venturi and in particular the nozzle design. The large hub venturi has fins which effectively extend the pump fins. What I found most interesting is the differences between the 97 GTi nozzle and the 2000 GTI. The large hub nozzle is much longer and smaller diameter. I also notice that the large hub impeller has an improved swirl design.

What is your opinion on this upgrade? I believe that the improved pump design & 11/22 swirl design impeller could help improve the already good towing ability.

+1
    The larger pump was a disaster for the 85hp GTI, any '97-'99 GTI with the 140mm pump with healthy power and tuned properly will stomp a mudhole in the last GTI carbureted revision (2000 and on).

The tuning mods they made on those later GTI's in the carb didn't help either but at that point they had to pass the CARB emissions standards tests in order to be sold and BRP redesigned the ski to meet those EPA regs using older motor and fuel technology with mods to the carb and exhaust to squeak it by. The carbed 787 wasn't able to make the cut at that point anymore either and away it went in favor of RFI injection to pass the same standards and be built a few more years till the regs got to the point no 2 stroke was going to get by any more.

Very interesting to know that. Just to be clear when you say larger pump are you referring to the later155mm used in the 2002 and up GTI's? I was referring to the 140mm large hub (204160055) used on the early GTX RFI's and 99 - 01 GTI's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by truck240 View Post
    Very interesting to know that. Just to be clear when you say larger pump are you referring to the later155mm used in the 2002 and up GTI's? I was referring to the 140mm large hub (204160055) used on the early GTX RFI's and 99 - 01 GTI's.
    Both, stick with the old school 140mm and have fun with it the 155 pumps were really bad that was even to much for the larger 787 rfi engine.

Thread Information