Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XLT1200 Stalling

Greetings! I am new to the forum and new to the PWC world. A few weeks ago I picked up a neglected 2003 XLT1200 which needed a complete rebuild. I replaced the crank and pistons, all new gaskets, and rebuilt the carbs with OEM Mikuni kits including needles and seats. I took it out on the water last week and it would stall as soon as I open the throttle. When it is cold, it starts up fine with choke, but as soon as I put the choke lever down it would stall, unless I rev it up. Came home and decided to check the breather valve and I found that the fuel return line came off the tank. I secured it and thought that I fixed the problem. Took it out yesterday again, but the problem is still persisting. It looks to me like fuel delivery issue somewhere, but need some help to pin-point the issue. I am now starting to think that it be related to an accelerator pump, which I haven't opened up during a rebuild. Also, some more additional info:
    1. Compression is 130psi on all 3 cylinders
    2. Switched to mixing gas and deleted the pump
    3. D-plate and chip were already installed
    4. The caps on the high and low adjusters were missing, however the adjusters were siezed and would not budge no matter what I tried, so I left it alone. The previous owner provided the reciepts and the carbs were previously serviced at a yamaha dealer.

I would appreciate any advise to help me figure this out

Fuel filter might be clogged? Try starting it on reserve to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Helsinky Smashrod View Post
    Fuel filter might be clogged? Try starting it on reserve to see what happens.
    Forgot to mention, the filter is brand new OEM. Also, the pop-off is at about 80 psi with the the shiny silver springs that came in the kits along with 1.2 n&s. Does that sound normal?

I think I found the problem. The input fuel hose is cracked. At this point I will replace all hoses just to be sure.

I have another question though, the high and low adjusters are siezed/frozen on all 3 carbs. Will i be able to drill it out with ez-out or something and replace with t-handles or should I just leave it alone?

Lots of penatrating oil and impact screwdriver or leave it alone if it runs fine.

Quote Originally Posted by txredxj View Post
    Lots of penatrating oil and impact screwdriver or leave it alone if it runs fine.
    I trief tons of penetrating oil, impact, heat gun, it wouldn't budge.

Maybe some aluminum brightener would eat the corrosion off but I wouldn't do that unless it was completely disassembled. If it runs fine leave it alone and look for a used set of carbs if you really want to be able to adjust them.

Im not sure how it runs yet since it kept stalling on me. I am really hoping that a cracked fuel hose is a primary reason for that. Thank you.

The reason I was worried about the adjusters is that I saw some posts here saying that once the adjusters freeze up, the carb is considered junk. Not sure why.

This is a performance forum and the adjusters are used to fine tune the carbs. If you don't modify anything and keep the accelerator pump working you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by txredxj View Post
    This is a performance forum and the adjusters are used to fine tune the carbs. If you don't modify anything and keep the accelerator pump working you should be fine.
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information