Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limped to shore

+1

Limped to shore

All was well for most the trip until the last no wake zone. Just past the last no wake bouy I went to hit the gas and she sounded different and had some vibration. Pulled off to the side and jumped out to see if I could feel anything. Did find one weed, thought all was good until I started her again, same thing .

Limped at idle for the most part and started heading towards a campground. Sheriff happened to be between us and the campground so flagged him down. Asked what was a matter and tried to explain the situation. Didn't have much help to give, basically said if he saw us limping along on his way back he'd see what we wanted to do then. So, we continued to head to the campground. Got over to the dock there and a guy asked if we needed anything, I said well looking to see if I can have someone haul us home.

At this point we were about 8-10 miles from home. I couldnt see us limping that far. This guy helped run their campground, rental skis, and pontoons. He had one of their pontoons break down so after they got back he could run us home to pick up our trailer. I took him up on the offer. Got my ride, thanked the guy, and flipped him $20 for helping me out. After getting her home took a look and saw something in the impeller. Turned out to be a pc of old plastic . Came out pretty easy, started her up again and sounded good again. True test will be tomorrow on the water though, hopefully that was all it was but sure messed up a good ride today.

Wear ring looked decent, just some surface scratches from the plastic pc. Should I be worried about or check anything else out?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1439605001150.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	368144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1439605017050.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	368145

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterguy00 View Post
    All was well for most the trip until the last no wake zone. Just past the last no wake bouy I went to hit the gas and she sounded different and had some vibration. Pulled off to the side and jumped out to see if I could feel anything. Did find one weed, thought all was good until I started her again, same thing .

Limped at idle for the most part and started heading towards a campground. Sheriff happened to be between us and the campground so flagged him down. Asked what was a matter and tried to explain the situation. Didn't have much help to give, basically said if he saw us limping along on his way back he'd see what we wanted to do then. So, we continued to head to the campground. Got over to the dock there and a guy asked if we needed anything, I said well looking to see if I can have someone haul us home.

At this point we were about 8-10 miles from home. I couldnt see us limping that far. This guy helped run their campground, rental skis, and pontoons. He had one of their pontoons break down so after they got back he could run us home to pick up our trailer. I took him up on the offer. Got my ride, thanked the guy, and flipped him $20 for helping me out. After getting her home took a look and saw something in the impeller. Turned out to be a pc of old plastic . Came out pretty easy, started her up again and sounded good again. True test will be tomorrow on the water though, hopefully that was all it was but sure messed up a good ride today.

Wear ring looked decent, just some surface scratches from the plastic pc. Should I be worried about or check anything else out?

Impellar and wear ring look in good shape! Best have a look from back of ski also -lift ibr bucket with mode button, settings, ibr override with engine off and dash on.

Let us know how you make out.

3. +1 by:

Looking at the pics, your impeller is messed up. The plastic piece is your tunnel fin. Your pictures are hard to see. I could be wrong. But if am right, you will be cavitating all the way. I would not be taking that ski far. Good luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterguy00 View Post

Impellar and wear ring look in good shape! Best have a look from back of ski also -lift ibr bucket with mode button, settings, ibr override with engine off and dash on.

Let us know how you make out.
    So I can lift the ibr bucket without the ski on and not have to unbolt anything?

I'll take a clearer picture today.

By tunnel fin you mean leading edge right? From that view the impeller would be spinning clockwise right?

At what point is the ring shot, just by how she gets up and goes or not?
    Last edited by Waterguy00; 08-15-2015 at 08:56 AM.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    the gap between the impeller and ring is too big. should be a red c-hair gap between impeller and WR.

O.K., so, check it out. I think what happened to you is what I went through with my GTR.
    Looks to me that the loading ramp for the pump broke off the shoe. Mine went all the way through the impeller(clean) and lodged against the stator. ski would usually cavitate something ferocious, but after it got going, things weren't to bad.
    Mind you, I didnt have a piece of the ramp lodged between the WR & impeller either.

You will be needing a new wear ring.

It was part #13 in this diag. that took a shit on my GTR.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....TEM---INTERNAL

Its pretty difficult to get a proper look at it cuz of where its at.
    Hell, 'Tinys' tech only found it when he stuck his phone cam up in the tunnel to take a pic to what was going on.
    I deleted the pics of the broken shoe about a year ago, lest I'd post them to show you. You could try a search, cuz I know they're on here - somewhere. 'Q' was having troubles with his GTR and I posted the pics to show him...

+1
    Same thing happened to me with my old ski, sucked up part of a old plastic funnel.......couldn't get it out without pulling the prop....bent one of the impeller blades

+1
    So is the pc your talking about before the impeller up by where the carbon ring is? Just can't picture where that pc would have come from the ski itself. The plastic looked old. She never stays in the water over night so don't see how any plastic on her would look mossy like this one did.

Would it mess anything if I tried running her for while today on the water?

+1
    if its the ramp on the shoe that broke - you wont really have any 'issues' per se, other than a shit-load of cavitation.

+1
    God bless google!
    here's the thread I speak of WITH THE PICS.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=203606&page=5

+1
    Interesting, so that would be more easily seen from the back looking into the pump area then right? Looking through the greate into the impeller looks ok to me (nothing missing or what not).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information