VXR muffler rattle ( aluminium)

Hello,
    My buddy has just bought a 2013 VXR and it developed a rattle in the exhaust today. It has approximately 85 hours 15 of which he put on. If you lift or manipulate the aluminum muffler in a certain way it stops rattling Or if you increase the rpm just slightly it stops. Has anyone had this happen before? If so how was it fixed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmac View Post
    Hello,
    My buddy has just bought a 2013 VXR and it developed a rattle in the exhaust today. It has approximately 85 hours 15 of which he put on. If you lift or manipulate the aluminum muffler in a certain way it stops rattling Or if you increase the rpm just slightly it stops. Has anyone had this happen before? If so how was it fixed.
    I know exactly what you're talking about. It happens when the water box (the aluminum muffler you referred to) moves a bit and starts to rub against part of the hull or isn't seated properly (in my expierence, the waterbox tends to slide backwards in the hull). Go in there and loosen the single clamp connecting the water box to the exhaust piping coming out of the exhaust manifold. Next, unhook the rubber strap holding the waterbox in place. Then re-seat the waterbox so it is resting on the pieces of foam on the hull.... it should be pretty obvious how it supposed to fit. Make sure it is seated properly so the waterbox itself is not in connect with the hull. Connect the rubber strap, tightening up the clamp, and go ridding. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmac View Post
    Hello,
    I know exactly what you're talking about. It happens when the water box (the aluminum muffler you referred to) moves a bit and starts to rub against part of the hull or isn't seated properly (in my expierence, the waterbox tends to slide backwards in the hull). Go in there and loosen the single clamp connecting the water box to the exhaust piping coming out of the exhaust manifold. Next, unhook the rubber strap holding the waterbox in place. Then re-seat the waterbox so it is resting on the pieces of foam on the hull.... it should be pretty obvious how it supposed to fit. Make sure it is seated properly so the waterbox itself is not in connect with the hull. Connect the rubber strap, tightening up the clamp, and go ridding. Good luck!
    Thanks, that is what we figured happened so we did pretty much did exactly as you said as we tried to remove the water box to see if something came loose inside or something fell under it. But after we put it all back together same noise. Metallic noise from inside water box

+1
    remove the waterbox and make sure there isnt a broken baffle or something in the waterbox, it is removable with the manifold on the ski, just difficult. or remove the manifold and copper coat the gasket when you reinstall

Thread Information