Thread: drain plug

+1

drain plug

I know someone had to of done this before i got a 96 sl780 there is only one drain plug on right side and i have a gallon of water on the left side that i cant get to the right side so i want to install a plastic screw in drain plug on the left side what size drill bit do i need will it hurt anything to install one there all info needed pls thanks

+1
    You will need to use a drill bit based on the size of the plug you buy. Check the inside of the hull for any obstructions and make sure that you in stall the hole high enough to clear the thickness of the hull itself, yet low enough to let the water out.....

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    You will need to use a drill bit based on the size of the plug you buy. Check the inside of the hull for any obstructions and make sure that you in stall the hole high enough to clear the thickness of the hull itself, yet low enough to let the water out.....
    Measure carefully. Measure twice.

Install captive style drain plugs, not the old-school expanding plugs which were factory on the very early years.

The hull material is quite dense so you will need a good drill and some patience. Angle the drill to match the angle of the transom so the installed fitting can sit flush with the hull surface.

Also drill the holes for the two mounting screws. Get the hole size and position right as the screws will break if the hole is too tight, and will strip out if the holes are slightly too large.

Tip: Use a siphon or wet/dry vac to remove the water from inside the hull before you start work. Or put the trailer tongue down low on the ground so the water runs forward inside the hull while you work at the rear.

Put a thin layer of sealant between the hull and the flange rubber gasket before installing the screws.

Even with the captive style, it is important to remember to screw them in before launching

Last edited by K447; 08-14-2015 at 09:19 PM.

+1
    Thanks thats the exact plug i want to install k447 i already installed one one the factory hole and ill use my shop vac to get water out i just dont want to have to do that for gallons of water hopefully it dont leak i tried cleaning inside of hull and no water leaked out so i think im good just wont always have a shop vac handy so i want to be able to drain as much as possible when necessary

+1
    Hey can you answer one more question does the little fuse inside mfd box work the trim not the 1/4 amp the small 32v round fuse

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fun rider View Post
    ... does the little fuse inside mfd box work the trim not the 1/4 amp the small 32v round fuse
    Inside the electrical box the short stubby 3 amp fuse on the terminal board (Orange terminal) powers the bilge pump. The electric trim motor is also powered by Orange.

The longer thin fuse powers only the MFD display. It is rated 1/4 amp.

Thread Information