+1

2002 XLT 1200- Bone Stock to Basic Tune & Mikuni CARB Questions- HELP!

2002 XLT 1200- Bone Stock to Basic Tune & Mikuni CARB Questions- HELP!

Hi I have just purchased 2 x 2002 Yamaha XLT 1200s. I am an engineer so I am mechanically inclinded and have worked on many cars but not jetskis before. I have been reading all this information about the Mikuni BN44 carbs on this thread and I want to do a tune up on both jetski carbs. The jetskis are stock right now. I have the factory manual which shows the stock information:

That being said I must first address what I have been reading are the required upgrades from stock :

1.Replace Stock Battery with Deka 20XL 310 CCA- old battery sucks, $100 Amazon

2.Wave Eater Clips & Couplers - prevents PV from coming lose
    $90 Amazon

3.Oil Block Off Kit - Turns engine into Pre-Mix (32:1 or 40:1?) & removes dangerous oil lines falling off

4.Carb Primer kit from riva- allows choke plate removal and easy start vs hard stock start
    $60 Riva

5.Install D-Plate & Cat Chip - Removes garbage stock cat converter
    $100 Amazon

6. Epoxy/Fiberglass Fortify Arch& Re-Install Pump Shoe Hull Inserts- Area weak on 1200GP units- same on XLT 1200s?
    $60 Amazon

7. Rebuild Carbs-
    a. ISLAND RACING
    CARB JET KIT
    IR-CJK-66V $119.95 XL1200LTD / XLT1200
    Needles / Seats
    •High Jets
    •Low Jets
    •Springs
    •Acc. Pump B/O Kit
    b. ISLAND RACING
    CARB SOCKET BOLT KIT
    IR-CSBK-66V $19.95 Stock w/ Acc. Pump
    c.HIGH SPEED T-HANDLE ADJUSTER - XLL / XLT1200
    SA-300 $13.50
    d.LOW SPEED T-HANDLE ADJUSTER - XLL / XLT1200
    SA-200 $13.50
    e.3 X MIKUNI CARBURETOR REBUILD KIT
    MK-BN44I-YAM $56.95

8. WSM FUEL FILTER 006-541 $13.95 - Replace old Fuel Filter

END

My question for you is after doing these items:
    1.these change will alter the jet size in the carbs yes?

2.do I need to buy both the carb jet kit on island racing and the mikuni carb rebuild kit?

3 do i need to get new needles as well? if so do i need to change the size of these? I read after the dplate install you do.

4. deleting the choke plates- that happends when installing the primer correct?

5. what are the list of tools needed to do the carb rebuild? I see this 2mm ball end allen wrench- lol i have never used or heard of a tool like that before.

6. Also are there spare parts in addition to the carb kits that i will need for this job? - I see in the below thread he broke or lost some pieces when he was doing it. Maybe since its my first time doing this I should get some spare parts too. Expecially those clear gasket pieces

I see all the infomation but its kinda all over the place. I am going to follow what was done on here for these carbs but its missing the information above:

Main Overview Article
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130613

Carb BN44 Rebuild
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185410

+1
    Admin please message me if your going to flag this post and remove it. I have been looking for answers to these questions in the forum trust me.

1.these change will alter the jet size in the carbs yes?
    No, you do not need to rejet the carbs with just a d-plate. You only need to rejet if you intend on adding flame arrestors. Which you should do. Check OsideBill's sticky in the how-to section.

2.do I need to buy both the carb jet kit on island racing and the mikuni carb rebuild kit?
    I would just get the genuine mikuni kit.

3 do i need to get new needles as well? if so do i need to change the size of these? I read after the dplate install you do.
    No, you do not need to do anything to the carbs if just adding a d-plate. D-plate gives the same back pressure as the original cat con. A carb rejet will be needed if you remove the stock air box.

4. deleting the choke plates- that happends when installing the primer correct?
    On my ski the primer goes through the top choke plate holes. If your leaving your ski stock with the accel pump on then you do not need a primer kit. Just squeze the throttle a few times to squirt gas into the 1 and 3 cylinders using the accel pump. The pump is triggered to activate just off idle.

5. what are the list of tools needed to do the carb rebuild? I see this 2mm ball end allen wrench- lol i have never used or heard of a tool like that before.

No special tools, hex head wrenches and basic screw drivers. A ball end allen wrench is basically just an allen wrench that can be rotated to some degree once it "locks" into the bolt. Basically you don't have to be exactly square on the bolt to turn it. Very useful.

6. Also are there spare parts in addition to the carb kits that i will need for this job? - I see in the below thread he broke or lost some pieces when he was doing it. Maybe since its my first time doing this I should get some spare parts too. Expecially those clear gasket pieces

The carb kit contains A LOT of very small peices. Clear your workspace when working on the carbs and open the kits VERY slowly and you shouldn't lose anything. The small clear pieces are check valves. Be careful, in my packs a couple were in the folded up diagram that comes with the kit. Just go slow and you'll be fine.

+1
    thank you for the response- further questions after reading the mikuni carb manual and reading forums- there is no information on how adjustments on one carb affect the adjustments on the second or third? and also do I need to add t-pins for each high and low speed screw for all 3 carbs (this is if I go the FA option) which would mean 6 t-pins?

Quote Originally Posted by TaulmanServices View Post
    I see this 2mm ball end allen wrench- lol i have never used or heard of a tool like that before.
    The 2mm ball end allen wrench is just used to push the 'grommet' button that secures the checkvalve into it's hole. You can use anything like a little rod, just make sure it doesn't have any sharp ends on the tip, or you'll push a hole through the grommet button. I just use a small regular allen wrench that I took to to a file and wire wheel to make sure it was smooth on the end, and I lube up the grommet button with 2s oil before I start pushing.

Thread Information