1993 Polaris Fuji SL750 with ShoreLandr trailer--Worth the money?

I have never owned a jet ski before and I found a 93 Polaris Fuji SL750 with a ShoreLandr trailer for $600. The seller says the Jet Ski needs a starter and a coil. The trailer is in "like new" condition. Is it worth getting for that much money? Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Where are you located?

Price and value depend upon local market (location), actual watercraft condition, and seasonality.

Are you comfortable doing your own maintenance and repairs?

These older watercraft, regardless of brand, require effort to check everything and do the required repairs, upgrades, and maintenance. Even if it appears to be in good running condition, there will still be work needed and some costs involved.

Beware of seller defined 'repair needs'. If it was easy enough to fix they should do it already and sell a running watercraft.

That said, sometimes there can be a price discount for buying it 'broken'. The risk is that it is actually more broken that you may be hoping for.

Trailer condition is also a factor. A rusted out trailer that also needs new tires and/or wheel bearings, lights, etc may not be much of a 'deal'.
    Note that trailer tires older than five years should be considered unusable and replaced with new. The maximum age is seven years, regardless of tread or appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Where are you located?

Price and value depend upon local market (location), actual watercraft condition, and seasonality.

Are you comfortable doing your own maintenance and repairs?

These older watercraft, regardless of brand, require effort to check everything and do the required repairs, upgrades, and maintenance. Even if it appears to be in good running condition, there will still be work needed and some costs involved.

Beware of seller defined 'repair needs'. If it was easy enough to fix they should do it already and sell a running watercraft.

That said, sometimes there can be a price discount for buying it 'broken'. The risk is that it is actually more broken that you may be hoping for.

Trailer condition is also a factor. A rusted out trailer that also needs new tires and/or wheel bearings, lights, etc may not be much of a 'deal'.
    Note that trailer tires older than five years should be considered unusable and replaced with new. The maximum age is seven years, regardless of tread or appearance.
    I am in northwest Ohio. I was mainly just looking to buy and resell this to make a little money. Everything looks cosmetically good to me..he says the tires are brand new on the trailer. This one caught my eye because I usually see ones like this double the price and without a trailer. Here is the link: http://limaohio.craigslist.org/boa/5107215591.html

+1
    Offer $500, the trailer is worth almost that.

+1
    I think you would fetch $400 for the trailer and $75 for the ride plate. The rest is up in the air. I have very rarely run into a "just needs a coil and a starter" type scenario that played out. Likely needs stator or CDI before a coil. If it also needs a starter, the ground wire is probably fried between the stator and electrical box.

Without a working starter the cylinder compression cannot be checked, so you're taking a chance on the condition of the cylinders, pistons, and rings.

Thread Information