Help gp12r taking on water

Hey guys I'm looking for any advice, my 2001 gp 1200r is leaking thru my rear bolt on my ride plate. Its taking in over an inch per hour. Almost sank a few times while I kept trying to figure out what was leaking. Any ideas on a fix? I'm in the process of setting up a bilge system but would love to get the prob fixed. Thanks

+1
    Are you sure thats the only place water is coming in? Sounds like a lot of water for that.Whats wrong with the built in bilge pump?

yep I have the same problem.

who makes the pump tunnel reinforcement kit to do the repair

If it's leaking at a ride bolt insert its likely that insert has twisted off. Check to see if the bolt spins without actually coming out. If it does you'll need to remove the battery box and back end of the exhaust to get some vice grips on the insert to hold it. At that point you should probably replace the inserts with ones that won't break lose. I believe riva sells some nice brackets for that purpose. Or you can just do like me and clean + sand the surface, then slap a big ol' glob of 3M marine filler on the insert to hold it in place.

6. +1 by:

The stock bilge system isnt that good and it doesnt work when the ski is not running. The easiest way to find the leak was filling up about 3 inches of water inside the hull while on the trailer. Tipped her back and saw a very steady flow coming out thru the ride plate bolt. The bolt has a little wobble when the plate is off and I could see bubbles forming around the opening. The insert seems to b holding pretty well. I could screw in an out with no issues. I honestly didn't know I could get to the top of those bolts so I'm gonna rip apart the back of the ski and silicone all around the top of the insert. Thanks guys

Having an electric bilge pump is great, but only for occasional use or very small leaks. If you're using it to compensate for any larger leak, you're going to end up with a dead battery and a sunk ski at some point.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc View Post
    Having an electric bilge pump is great, but only for occasional use or very small leaks. If you're using it to compensate for any larger leak, you're going to end up with a dead battery and a sunk ski at some point.

Ever seen how much water a decent bilge pump pushes? It would take a serious hole to overwhelm my 600gph pump and this isn't a large pump.

Bilge pump is a great investment for just in case something happens. For sure correct the leak, bilge pump is for emergency use.

Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc View Post
    Ever seen how much water a decent bilge pump pushes? It would take a serious hole to overwhelm my 600gph pump and this isn't a large pump.

Bilge pump is a great investment for just in case something happens. For sure correct the leak, bilge pump is for emergency use.
    Yes, I have, and I know a lot of boats that get sunk because the bilge pump was running until it ran out of battery. But I do agree with you "For sure correct the leak, bilge pump is for emergency use."

Thread Information