Question 98 STX 900 performance parts and beginner mods

Greetings everyone...I am new to the forum and PWC world.

I recently purchased a 98 STX 900, and have been doing some research on what mods to do. The ski is completely stock, and am looking to add top-end speed and acceleration without losing reliability.

I contacted Harry over at Group K and got some ideas, but was wondering if anyone else has experience modifying these ski's? Where can I get performance parts?

Here is what I have planned so far:
    -r&d ride plate (yet to locate one)
    -solas impeller (http://impros.com/store/index.php/im...-impeller.html)

Thanks
    Brad

+1
    R&D Flame arrestor, 96-97 zxi carbs, mill the head, cut the center bar from the intake grate.

Or go with an 1100 engine swap.

I would say Group K is your one stop shop. They did a lot of testing on these things back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    R&D Flame arrestor, 96-97 zxi carbs, mill the head, cut the center bar from the intake grate.

Or go with an 1100 engine swap.

I would say Group K is your one stop shop. They did a lot of testing on these things back in the day.
    Thanks DavidR. What is the difference with the 96-97 zxi carbs compared to stock? Different jetting I'm assuming? The other mods you have listed there are pretty self explanatory.

I like the idea of 1100 engine since it seems like you'll get more bang for your buck. Does the 1100 bolt right in so to speak since it's just a bored out version of the 900? I'm a former diesel technician so I probably could work out the swap with only a few headaches haha. Probably need to do some research on that idea as well. Maybe buy an already built 1100?

+1
    The '96-'97 carbs were more 'adjustable' and had an accelerator pump system. Problem is you can't get the diaphragm for the accelerator pump anymore.

I've got two STX 1100s with the new-style (CV) carbs and they work just fine.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of modding, especially swapping engines. If you're going to spend that kind of money, just sell it and buy an Ultra 150. There's no comparison. You'll never look back--except at the STXs that you pass. Of course, the Ultra 150 is a 2-seater.

+1
    I agree with Steve's last statement most. Just get it running well and enjoy it or sell it and get something better.

What Steve said, no amount of mods on a pump gas fed 900 will make it as fast/quick as a stock reliable 1100
    Even a 1100 will be too slow you before too long.

So my advise is ride the 900, don't spend any money on it other than maintenance, then upgrade to a Ultra or 250-310

The only mod I did on my STX that was worth the spend 5 times over was a R & D Scoop grate, much better hookup in turns and chop, and smoother ride in rough water

Thread Information