2013 FZS Troubleshooting help, loss of foward speed, loud whizzing noise at high RPM

I have an unmodified 2013 FZS, with 49 hours... never had an issue, just kicked the two year warranty... and now have an issue. I was moving along about 7000rpm when I went around a small turn, machine had the feeling that it was losing speed, heard a NEW constant whizzing noise, and RPMs seemed to increase easy when I throttled up but no gain in forward speed, so I backed down to idle thinking I sucked something up. Idled into shore,Looked in the grate on boat lift and nothing there. Then I put it in the water, has vibration/louder noise above 2500 rpm, so didn't go any higher than that...pulled it out, thought maybe clutch went out or supercharger, so I pulled off the supercharger...The clutch and supercharger have very little/no play or gear wear noticeable, appear to be well lubricated. Can someone walk me thru what to look for next? I looked at the prop tunnel, it's all clean, no debris, prop spins fine at idle, I don't think you are suppose to rev it up when it's out of the water so, not sure where to troubleshoot next. Don't want to put it back together until I find it, or I give up and take it to the dealer....Thanks all!

+1
    It really sound like either a charger clutch or a air leak through a inlet gasket. Do a vaccum test on your inlet manifold

Whizzing noise sounds like a boost leak. You can Rev it a bit out of the water if you got water hooked to the flush port. Just put in reverse to limit rpm in case you get carried away.

Does the ski spent most it's life on the lift? In the water?

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    Whizzing noise sounds like a boost leak. You can Rev it a bit out of the water if you got water hooked to the flush port. Just put in reverse to limit rpm in case you get carried away.

Does the ski spent most it's life on the lift? In the water?
    Ok, thank you I will check for a boost leak tonight. It has been on the lift for about 2 years, so yes outside and covered in Maryland. I did check the clutch, it freewheels one way and is locked the other so my assumption is that is ok. It has a little play front to back, I would say about 1/16" or so, is that normal?

+1

2013 FZS Troubleshooting help, loss of foward speed, loud whizzing noise at h...

Sounds like your drive shaft coupler or drive shaft it self stripped out

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    might have a stripped coupler, or something stuck between the impeller and liner that will cause a vibration or rpms to go high with not much movement..

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey1321 View Post
    Then I put it in the water, has vibration/louder noise above 2500 rpm, so didn't go any higher than that...
    That vibration and noise is your clue. My guess is your ski is fine, you have probably inhaled a small piece of wood or stick into your pump and it's wedged in between the impeller and the wear ring liner. I have done this several times when running in shallow water; and it only takes a tiny sliver of cypress wood or debris to create the problem. Sometimes you have to get under the ski with a flashlight while its on the trailer just to see it; sometimes you have to remove the intake grate to get it out.

Ok, so I recall when I bought the unit at Atlantic Cycle and Power in Waldorf MD, the salesman told me it only came with one key fob, and I said that my old unit had two, and he shrugged... So could you comment on if this could of been the issue. Looks like it was recently ground down too, maybe stuck near the coupler??? I actually dropped a screw down below the engine area and was fishing around down there with my hand and a rag, and fished this out by luck??? I will put it in the water and let you know... WTF! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150815_193348.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	368180

Ok, so ignore my last post about the key fob, here it is back in water, has really loud whine up by supercharger, like a buzzing, this is from start up to 5 or 6K RPM....

Thread Information