Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jammed Pump

+1

Jammed Pump

A buddy had his Polaris Freedom in a shop for over a month. He dropped it off running, got it back after 1 month since they never touched it and tried to start the ski. The motor seemed locked up and wouldn't turn. On a hunch I pulled the pump and gave the engine a start. She fired right up. So I turned my attention to the pump thinking it was froze but it wasn't. Spins free and smooth as butter. Nothing was stuck between the impeller and wear ring. The only thing I can guess is while in the shop someone bumped the pump pretty good binding the impeller to the inside of the pump? Any ideas??

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Put the jet pump back in place and snug the bolts. Be sure it is properly positioned. Does it bind up?

+1
    Nope, it is free as can be. I was just wondering if this ever happened to anyone. I know the pump is pretty long, with 3-4 sections on the Polaris vs a seadoo that only has 2 housings. Its the strangest thing I have seen happen.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    Nope, it is free as can be. I was just wondering if this ever happened to anyone. I know the pump is pretty long, with 3-4 sections on the Polaris vs a seadoo that only has 2 housings. Its the strangest thing I have seen happen.
    Was the jet pump properly positioned and bolted down before you removed it?

Otherwise I could only speculate that some foreign object was stuck in the pump and fell out when the pump was removed.

If it was me I might take the tail cone off and inspect for signs of water. Point the tail cone at the ground during removal while removing it so any trapped water does not fall inside the bearing housing.

Might also unscrew the impeller and remove front spacer to inspect those seals and front bearing for water or rust indications.

+1
    Will do thanks. Still trying to find the gremlins in the ski out for him- ski runs great on trailer and water except when taking off. If you pull the choke out a tad it takes off, you then have to push it back in or it bogs. Tried opening up the adjusters but no change. This thing has been passed around to 3 different shops already and noone can figure it out. This is the 4th Polaris I messed with and I have to say I am not a fan!

+1
    have the carbs been rebuilt? how about the fuel system? Fuel lines replaced?

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    what year?does it have an accl pump? does it work?

+1
    new fuel lines, carbs cleaned and inspected 4 times by 3 different shops and rebuild 2 times although nothing was found to be bad. I checked the accl pump and it squirts when the throttle is pulled.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    new fuel lines, carbs cleaned and inspected 4 times by 3 different shops and rebuild 2 times although nothing was found to be bad. I checked the accl pump and it squirts when the throttle is pulled.
    After checking the obvious stuff, time to check all the other things.

+1
    Checked has tank, vents for tank, spark, coils, rectifier.....compression is good. Throttle cable is adjusted correct and choke and throttle butterfly are correct. I'm really out of ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information