Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

MSX 150 possible Intercooler leaking?

More problems. I am referencing my previous post where I found the ETB was sticking. I got it loosened up but replaced it with a used one off ebay. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=236064
    It ran great for 2-3 weekends, kids were using it mostly. Put it away for the week, start it up and it idles and seems to run ok, but is limited to random rpms around 4900-5300. I took it to the ramp last night to check the ETB, relearn and operation. I noticed a little water when I pulled the hard pipe to see the ETB. I started it with the pipe off and I could feel very moist air coming out of the intercooler, so I yank the intercooler and tip it over and about 1-2 oz of water comes out of it. I plan on pressure testing it this week, but is this a normal problem on these things? What options are there for fixing it, assuming it's leaking. What is behind the cover with the bolts, wonder if a radiator shop can fix it? Should I just take a chance on a used one off ebay. Hate to spend a couple hundred on a used one that has the same problem. Anyone here have any known good used one they want to sell?
    Now I wonder if the water messed up my new sensors I put in last fall!
    Rambling now, thanks.

+1
    From what I understand, yanking the intercooler is no small feat, cudos for that!

Any water in the hull? Are you sure its fresh water, and not antifreeze?

The air inlet is very low on these machines, which I imagine can allow fresh water in the hull to be sucked up and blown into the intercooler & intake tract. A pressure test is your best bet to determine next step(s). I learned how to do that over on my project thread, let me know if you need me to find the discussion.

+1
    Yeah... I concur. Pressure test the IC first. That's not a lot of water... could have been sucked up by the turbo as Hiperco mentioned and spit into the intercooler.

Or if your water temps are really cold... I suppose it could cause condensation inside the IC... but I'd imagine that the hot air from the turbo would keep it pretty dry in there.

Or could have a small leak from the freshwater cooling lines in the IC into the air side.

IC taken apart pics here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104615

Cheers!

+1
    I'm sure it is water, I tasted it for antifreeze. I am at a little bit of an advantage on the intercooler, as this motor is in a little Sugar Sand boat and I can have it out in about 30 minutes. I will pressure test it after I can get hoses from the hardware store, but I'm pretty sure it is leaking. If not then the boat must have had a bunch of water get in it. Not ruling out that option though, if they forgot to put the plug in it or something like that. I'll ask but might not get the whole story. It seems like I can drive the thing over and over, and once they take it out, I have to work on it again, although I have yet to find anything that indicates they are doing anything wrong. More to follow!
    Thanks HiPeRcO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Or if your water temps are really cold... I suppose it could cause condensation inside the IC... but I'd imagine that the hot air from the turbo would keep it pretty dry in there.

IC taken apart pics here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104615

Cheers!
    Thanks again ripcuda,
    I guess it could have sucked up some water. The heat from the turbo air temp I would think would keep most condensation down. It has always been really dry in there when I was working on the ETB. We'll see how the leak down does in the next couple of days I guess and go from there.

+1
    I was just told that as he was driving it, that it sounded like a hose popped off. Then it sounded like more air pressure, then normal.
    haha then they probably keep driving it hoping it doesn't sink! kids>>>>>>

+1
    One other thing, I noticed a drip of fuel on the edge of the fuel regulator, is that a standard oring I can get from an auto parts place and change? or do I need to special order it. I'm guessing it is just old and starting to shrink/dry up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rockien View Post
    I am at a little bit of an advantage on the intercooler, as this motor is in a little Sugar Sand boat and I can have it out in about 30 minutes.
    Boo! I take back my cudos, cheater!

We will still help a fellow Weber brethren, no need to call it a MSX 150

Regarding the fuel leak, maybe a picture of the area of concern would help.

+1

Smile

I have a good I/C for a 110 if you need it! It came with Grovites motor. There is also the bracket as well. Know you would lose some on the top but it's cheap!

+1
    The drop of fuel is right where this oring seals the regulator to the fuel rail. Let's see if this picture attaches to this post.

Name:  fuelregulator.PNG
Views: 87
Size:  35.5 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information