Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Do You Trailer With a Cover?

Planning on ordering a cover for my ski to use for road trips. Do they work well at freeway speeds, or flap around and rub at the paint? Any recommendations on good covers?

+1

+1
    Iv read on here that the oem covers don't scratch the ski but some after market ones do..

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith88 View Post
    Iv read on here that the oem covers don't scratch the ski but some after market ones do..
    Thanks. Went with the OEM cover. I'm new to buying parts for this machine, but I'm liking BikeBandit. 10% discount with your AMA member #, plus you earn credit towards future buys. Shipped price on OEM# MWV-CVRVR-BC-15 (for 2015 VXR) was $174.00 shipped after discounts. That's ~$30.00 less than I found it anywhere else.

The trick is to tighten the elastic band on the OEM cover. My pair are always covered and the covers handle highway speeds just fine. The OEM ones have vents on the back to help the cover suck down over the seats. If you do not adjust the cover, the edge will pull up and rub the paint causing a wear mark(will easily buff out).

7. +1 by:

+1
    Several 600 mi trips a year with mine and never with a cover. Mine goes naked. I do take the cover for when its not in a garage at the cottage. Its always fun watching people look at the ski while trailering it.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Never cover a ski while trailering ... the cover gets stressed and stretched and almost always you will find spots where the paint was impacted due to the cover rubbing or flapping. Just because some covers state they can be used while trailering does not mean you should. Impacts from stones and other things would only hit the bottom of the ski, not the top deck, so a cover does not help that either.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks, Guys. Sounds like a good coat of wax may have to do during transport. I'll save the cover for when it's parked outside on trips. Otherwise, my VXR is garaged.

+1
    Yeah you should be fine , wax is a good idea , the bugs will come off easier haha

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Never cover a ski while trailering ... the cover gets stressed and stretched and almost always you will find spots where the paint was impacted due to the cover rubbing or flapping. Just because some covers state they can be used while trailering does not mean you should. Impacts from stones and other things would only hit the bottom of the ski, not the top deck, so a cover does not help that either.
    I only cover with the OEM for longer distances than my usual 10 minute drive to the ramp. Only a couple of longer trips with the cover on, and no signs of wear due to rubbing (yet?)

I do agree that rocks coming up to the hull are the most likely source of damage and the cover will not help with this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information