+1

04 RXP Gel Coat..Fading Away Quickly

So i recently picked up an 04 RXP with 129 hours. It looked good when i purchased it but when i got hope and threw some cleaner on it, it was immediately dull and faded in color. I waxed it and it looked good as new. I want to try and get this glossy look without wax as wax wears off super quick in the water. Do I need to have it professionally re gel coated? Or is it possible to polish it down to get a fresh gel coat look?

+1
    Wet sand -> rubbing compound = shiney

Wet sand with 300 -> 800 -> 1200 -> 2000 (your path may differ as long as you get to at least 2000)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Wet sand -> rubbing compound = shiney

Wet sand with 300 -> 800 -> 1200 -> 2000 (your path may differ as long as you get to at least 2000)
    yep, bust out the elbow grease

+1
    Before I started sanding I would suggest to get you a Porter Cable 7434X or a more expensive Flex rotary buffer and try some Buff Magic. I grew up in the paint and body business and this what I use on my ski. I have a P-C 7434X, a Flex and several buffer/polishers but I prefer the rotary. With a rotary buffer you can't harm the gelcoat, but with a standard buffer you can, if you're not experienced with using it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kflhr View Post
    Before I started sanding I would suggest to get you a Porter Cable 7434X or a more expensive Flex rotary buffer and try some Buff Magic. I grew up in the paint and body business and this what I use on my ski. I have a P-C 7434X, a Flex and several buffer/polishers but I prefer the rotary. With a rotary buffer you can't harm the gelcoat, but with a standard buffer you can, if you're not experienced with using it.

What would you use to fill a small gouge? Correct color gel coat I suppose? Too small to fill with fiber glass.

if the gouge is small enough that your finger won't catch, you can get away with a small layer of liquid gel of the proper color. Anything deeper requires you mix the gel with Cabosil to make a paste, then squeegee it into the gouge, with a final liquid gel top cover. You should always use a wax additive, that way you don't need to use PVA or a mylar top sheet to ensure proper curing.

I have seen youtube videos of idiots that profess to be professionals using only liguid gel in gouges, and using mylar or PVA top sealing. You would need many, many layers of liquid to do what a single layer of Cabosil + gel paste will do in a single application.

+1
    Gel paste? You can fix deep gouges, as long as fiberglass isn't damaged, simply with gelcoat. This is waxed gelcoat that you only ad hardener/catalyst to. Brush it on so that it sits above original gelcoat, let it cure and wetsand down to stock gelcoat level.

Of courses you need to prep the surface a bit, bit of course sand paper to build a good base for new gelcoat to adhear to, clean with acetone, ready.

Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Gel paste? You can fix deep gouges, as long as fiberglass isn't damaged, simply with gelcoat. This is waxed gelcoat that you only ad hardener/catalyst to. Brush it on so that it sits above original gelcoat, let it cure and wetsand down to stock gelcoat level.

Of courses you need to prep the surface a bit, bit of course sand paper to build a good base for new gelcoat to adhear to, clean with acetone, ready.
    where would I get the seadoo yellow? I wonder how close it will be given new/old gel.
    also the black for the bottoms.

+1
    I used generic black for the bottom for top you can get small 2oz touch up kit. Google to find best deal, it's these just don't see yellow there http://www.iboats.com/Seadoo-2005-20...iew_id.1086537

Thread Information