2005 XLT 1200 Slow

Hi All,
    Ok just getting the machine into the water this year. The first time out it seems to run perfect but won't go over 35 mph. I pull it out thinking bad plug and replace the used (cleaned) plugs with new ones and run again, same issue, ran about 1/2 hour. When I got home I pulled the new plugs and the front two were a nice tan color but the rear cylinder plug looked new, white, no discoloration at all. I check for spark with an induction pickup tester and all three are firing. I checked that the PV'S were cycling, all good. I checked compression and got about 115 psi on all cylinders. I rebuilt the entire engine three season's ago including carbs, it ran 55 mph last season. The machine is completely stock.
    I'm thinking the carburetor on number three is clogged. If I pull it apart I'll put a D plate in , rejet and add FA's. Any ideas? Am I on the right track?

Thanks

John

Sounds like you got it pretty well pegged. For some reason that last cylinder isn't getting any gas. Could be an internal filter is clogged or your vacuum line could have come off. Either way start inspecting that carb from the outside in. Definitely install FAs and d-plate. Your probably gonna do it eventually, might as well do it now!

Sounds like the right track, but I would use a spark gap jump test. Look for a 7/16" jump. The flashing testers are not reliable.

+1
    I Don't KNO Shit, except where I've screwed up. Would the plug be white if not getting enough current? I'd never have found that.The more I read, the more I don't know about these damn 2 strokes.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dockwalker View Post
    I Don't KNO Shit, except where I've screwed up. Would the plug be white if not getting enough current? I'd never have found that.The more I read, the more I don't know about these damn 2 strokes.LOL
    ???

Spark is same for 4 strokes. Plugs come white and stay white if it isn't firing. Simple test. Most of the time a disconned plug wire will jump to a ground if near the opening and you can hear/see it.

You can cut of the ground electrode off a used plug, ground the casing, and see a decent gap/spark.

You can also disconnect the 2 good cylinders. Try to start it on the "Dud" cylinder. Then add fuel mix or a shot of starter thru plug opening, reinstall plug, crank and see if you now get a pop, which would tend to confirm fuel delivery.

For the alarmists, it's getting nearly impossible to find starter fluid that doesn't contain lubricant.

good luck!

I built a spark gap today and tested all cylinders. I got a good hard snap across a 3'/8" gap on all jugs. After removing the exhaust i noticed the accelerator pump seems to fed from the number three carb. The last run on the water the acceleration was poor, this may be more proof #3 is plugged up. Ordering parts.

Thread Information