Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help!! 97 seadoo challenger 1800

i just purchased this boat about a month ago and the first couple times out was great slowly going down hill from there. im having issues with my left engine not revving over 5000 rpm. ive been googling it and find a lot on it mostly rave valves.. well i did clean all four rebuilt all four.. they were a mess. the one thing i cant really find anything on is if i have my right engine going full throttle and i take the left engine throttle all the way down and slam it to full it actually will go at 7000 rpms.. kinda weird not really sure why it only does it like that any helps greatly appreciated
    like i said i cleaned and rebuilt raves
    rebuilt left jet
    tried to find exhaust leaks -right engine had hole in exhaust hose from tuned pipe to resonator tank
    and i was wondering if the water flow regulator valve would cause any of this as well

+1
    Raves were a good start, swap your water regulator valves and see if the problem changes from port to starboard. I'd be taking a hard look at the carb diaphragm and rotary valve clearances as well on that port engine.

thats a good idea thank you.. i have been wanting to rebuild carbs been putting it off doesnt look very fun.. hoping i could push it to the off season.. guess not

do i have to really tear into the carbs to get to the diaphram.. my question is.. is it a full rebuild or simple cleaning

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    on a bait, you do it all the first time, after the first time you do it, you will understand why that's my first rule of sportboat service.

by the way, I don't climb in engine compartments any more. I leave that contortionism to the younger folks.

the boat is 18 years old..you think just cleaning it is a good way to spend your time?

when i bought the boat he had told me that they were rebuilt 2 years ago and im not sure how often then need it.. this is my first 2 stroke boat and im still learning new things.. if im gonna be in the engine area id like to do it right the first time. i dont want to be in there any longer than i have to be lol. so you guys think its my carbs.. the no throttle to full throttle and working correctly is a carb related issue?
    i took it out today and i noticed also that at a idle sitting the rpms will go up to like 3 ish and come back down to 1500 rpm.. does that sound carb related to you also

+1
    A two stroke rotary engine that is sitting on a dead peg idle untouched that fluctuates 300 rpms one way or another on it's own likely has issues outside of just the carb(s), air leak at the crankcase or damaged rotary valve or valve cover/case wear tolerances out of spec. are some usual suspects.

All of this is pretty common on a Sportboat that age. They require an investment of time, patience and money to get them right but the grin factor is huge when finished and performance is restored.

If you're spending quite a bit of time in the engine bay, don't hesitate to pull the main hatch off and gain some room to work standing on your head to turn a wrench get's old working in those hulls and mistakes are easier to make if you're new to working on them.

Man I was so hoping this was something dumb but the more I think about it the more I realize I might be alike over my head..thanks for the replies I'll still do some digging let you know if I find anything

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the difficulty in getting boats in and out of service often lead to long term neglect and the only thing that seems to get these people to service is when it doesn't run at all.

I had a customer a couple of years ago that drove around on one engine for a year because he didn't want to spend the money to get the other engine repaired.

Well he stressed the other engine so much pushing that big hull around with it that about a month after the second engine was back in service #1 blew a hole in the crankcase.

He's still running around on one engine knowing that if he blows up the new engine, he'll still have the SBT warranty on it, at least till this September, which marks the two year anniversary of the last time I got into a boat engine bay.

point being, unless you know how many hours are on a boat, it's a risky bet as they get used up and if you have to put $5-7 an hour in for repairs for every hour run, you are often looking at over $1000 worth of work.

wannah have a heart attack?..check out the list price on the throttle and reverse control assembly.

if not maintained, an older seadoo boat is the definition of money pit.

lots of fun when they are on the pipe..till you throw one of your friends overboard doing some stunts.

gee..too hot for a life jacket right?

oops.

depending on your circumstances, it might be the smart move just to find a running boat and bail on this one.

of course that won't apply if you have a 12 year old that likes to play mechanic. They are pretty handy for getting carbs and stator covers off..and they work cheap!

10. +1 by:

No IM not going to run it all jacked up IM going to continue to work on it..just need to do Lil more research on the engine specs and keep looking for the solution.. And checking the throttle assembly..great idea thank you.. How much would I be looking at to send carbs away for a rebuild?
    Last edited by robbie02; 08-11-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information