Angry New here!!!!! 01 gpr about to rip my hair out help

Hello to everyone! im new to this forum, but have been on plenty of others for cars, trucks, streetbikes etc.

i own a 2001 GP1200R, purchased last year. I got the ski rough running, not knowing too much about these particular models started to research hard starts and rough running. went straight to rebuilding the carbs. All was well for a bit and ran great. Later on i dropped not one but TWO powervalves and blew my engine so the ski sat over winter up until about two weeks ago when i tore it down, rebuilt the entire top end with factory yamaha pistons and cylinders off a buddys ski, with 62 hours on it.

Heres where i need help, now i rebuilt the carbs last year and it ran great, replaced the cracked up pulse lines with new regular black line, all new fuel lines, brand new MIKUNI carb kits (no junk, i dont cheap out) etc. i had no problems until the power valves got me.

So now I've rebuilt the engine, everything went together great besides one powervalve shaft was VERY tight, i think it may have bent so i have a new one on its way to me. BUT i packed the fuel lines, removed from end of filter poured gas down the lines, watched it fill up into the carb lines (i used a clear line) so i know its into the carbs. poured a little fuel into the cylinders, fired it up and it ran for about 20-30 seconds and sputtered and shut off....figured okay, maybe theyre not full yet ( i took them apart last week to check them and clean out the inside filters ) so i repeated this process, one, two, three, twenty times.....ski will not continue to run besides what is in the lines and the line up to the filter...

i watch the filter as its running and it stays full, i emptied the filter to see if it wasnt pulling from tank, but after i kick it over it pulls a siphon and the filter fills back up again.....

im very very confused as to why the ski will run off the fuel thats in the carb lines and one fuel line but wont continue to run...does ANYONE have any tips, advice, maybe had the same problem?? i need help im about to lose my mind with this thing and have yet to ride it this year.

my mods are, wave eaters, riva flame arrestors, d plate, chip, full carb rejet/no chokes/no accelerator pump as per the settings and jets off this site, free flow exhaust, premix and thats it

Please help me out thank you, and hope to hear from someone or some people asap
    Last edited by 01GPRNJ; 08-10-2015 at 05:38 PM. Reason: mis spelling

You'll want to search the forums for a few things.
    1. Fuel selector bypass.
    2. Fuel pick up trap door removal.

Trap door warps and blocks fuel and the selector also is a restriction. It can be bypassed or installs a brass tee in its place.

thank you, i forgot about the fuel selector. I bypassed that last year when i did the carb rebuilds. the trap door i have not done, but like i said i feel like it has to be pulling fuel, after i emptied the filter itself a couple of times it will pull fuel back into it and be full. thats why im confused i dont know what could be causing this to not continue to run. its almost as if the line to carbs is clogged, but its not because i pour fuel down it to fill the carb rack up.

Is it flooding? What happens if you start it with a little bit of throttle squezed? Also what is your idle set at?

Hey guys I just got a Yamaha gp1200 lt limited.the jet ski is been running great until yesterday, it runs good but I am having problems with the throttle is getting stuck after just chillin in the water for a lil while. The throttle stays open and then the machine just won't start, but after I tow the ski back to the dock and get it on the trailer the throttle goes back to place. If anyone here can please help me that would be much apricated.and if anyone know where can I get a copy of the service manual (pdf) please let me know

+1
    The throttle sticking is VERY common. Mine does it also, especially after it heat sinks for a while. Only fix is to repair the sticking carb.

+1
    Have you checked return line?

+1
    any luck i have got a similar problem with my fuel

So the engine idles fine on the trailer for 20 to 30 seconds? When you rebuilt the top end did you pressure test the engine? Just wondering if it is going lean or maybe too rich and snuffing out the spark.

+1
    I would check the pulse lines, and properly prime the carbs. To do so, remove return line from forward most carb, and cover the nipple. Pressurize tank using return line, and let fuel fill all carbs. Let fuel flush from nipple for a couple of seconds. If that doesnt solve it, my next thing to check would be the needle arm height.

Thread Information