Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New guy here. Please help

I bought a 2003 msx 140 HO. Got it on the water and it ran fine for about 20 min. Wife turned it off (or it stalled) and would not refire. Trailered it home (30 min) and it fired right up in the driveway but would not idle. The guy I bought it from said the battery would not charge. I checked the voltage on the battery when the ski was running at it was between 12.4 volts and 12.6 volts. Nobody around me will look at it... Help

Thanks

+1
    Any water in the bilge? Spray can get sucked up into the air intake.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wrvdb View Post
    I bought a 2003 msx 140 HO. Got it on the water and it ran fine for about 20 min. Wife turned it off (or it stalled) and would not refire. Trailered it home (30 min) and it fired right up in the driveway but would not idle. The guy I bought it from said the battery would not charge. I checked the voltage on the battery when the ski was running at it was between 12.4 volts and 12.6 volts. Nobody around me will look at it... Help

Thanks
    Welcome

Your machine has a large EMM module (located near the battery) that controls almost everything. It is common for these EMM to need repair when they age. There are several repair services that work on the Polaris Ficht EMM.

The EMM controls battery charging, so that alone means the EMM probably needs repair. Polaris has a service bulletin replacement for early 2003 production EMM. If yours was replaced under warranty there may be a sticker on the flame arrestor cover, these stickers indicate dealer service work.

The EMM system depends upon several sensors and the flywheel stator to properly operate the engine. Sometimes a sensor can fail which will confuse the EMM or prevent it from running the engine.

Look for a rubber bumper added next to the exhaust temperature sensor, tucked down between the plastic pipe and the metal exhaust manifold.. The hard plastic exhaust pipe sometimes rubs on the temp sensor wires and causes damage. The rubber bumper was added to protect the wires.

See my signature link for more info on your Ficht engine and recommended maintenance.

Also check basic engine mechanicals. Cylinder compression, look for signs of overheating, etc.

no water in the bildge. air intake clean. there are at least 4 service stickers on the flame arrestor.

What are the signs of over heating?

+1
    no water in the bilge. air intake clean. there are at least 4 service stickers on the flame arrestor.

What are the signs of over heating?
    Discolored paint on the cylinder heads, exhaust rubber hoses that look cooked or have soft areas when squeezed hard, melted plastic resonators or hard exhaust tube.

Even without any of the above, if it was run too long on the trailer without water (or in the water with a clogged cooling system) the exhaust temp sensor can be damaged from the heat and need replacement.

Thanks. I will be back from a meeting on friday and I will investigate.

Has anyone tried Marine Computer Supply in Mobile Alabama (844-627-2255)? I want to get my EMM tested and I have to be in Mobile this week. Thanks

What shold I see as my charging voltage for the battery?

+1

What should I see as my charging voltage for the battery?
    Battery charging voltage, with a fully charged battery, should be a little bit above 13.5 volts. Actual charging voltage depends on battery charge and EMM/ambient engine compartment temperature, typical battery charging voltages are around 14.0 to maybe 14.5 volts.

Battery charging voltage can also vary slightly with engine RPM and engine running time.

The Ficht EMM controls battery charging, not the LR module. LR module controls battery charging only on carburetor engines.

When I checked it with the engine at idle it was 12.4 volts.

+1
    When I checked it with the engine at idle it was 12.4 volts.
    12.x volts is just the voltage from the battery itself, not charging.

The battery does not begin to properly charge until the voltage at the battery (from the charging system) rises into the 13.5ish range

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information